DjangoBooks.com

Tony Rees 1975 Häns'che Weiss recording from Cambridge UK

TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia
edited July 2020 in History Posts: 140

Hi all, as I mentioned in another thread, I have a small number of "historic" Gypsy Jazz recordings I have made over the years (but fewer than I would like...). Upcoming is a freshly digitised performance of the Häns'che Weiss Quintet at Cambridge Folk Festival 1975, recorded from the audience on a budget mono cassette machine, but surprisingly listenable! I may make the same available on youtube in a while for others, but you can hear it here first (mp3 quality, if you want the wav file I can upload it somewhere). Track list (provisional titles) is:

1. ??
  2. Autumn Leaves
  3. Undecided
  4. Fuli Tschai
  5. Nuages
  6. Russian Lullaby
  7. It Don't Mean A Thing
  8. All of Me (?)
  9. Bye Bye Blues (?)

Personnel (from the programme notes): Häns'che Weiss (lead guitar), Titi Winterstein (age 18) (violin), Holzmano Winterstein (rhythm guitar), Ziroli Winterstein (rhythm guitar), Hojak Merstein (bass). Any corrections/additions to the track listing welcome.

Enjoy... :)

For some reason I am having trouble attaching the file; I will post this anyway and attempt to post the file as a follow up...

Regards - Tony

Tagged:
BucoMichaelHorowitzrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsspatzoWilliewim

Comments

• TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia

For some reason my internet is not working adequately for file transfer - will try again tomorrow :) - Tony

Here is the music (second try...)

BucoWillie

BTW the band is introduced during "All of Me" (just listening as I write this), personnel corresponding with the list given in the programme notes reproduced above.

Tony

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Hey - Thanks this is great! more please when you get time!!!

TonyRees

OK - now live on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI0TjipJs08 for your enjoyment and that of friends...

Cheers - Tony

BillDaCostaWilliamswimrudolfochrist
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

The Russian Lullaby sounds like it could be Le temps du muguet/ Midnight in Moscow as discussed here recently.

edited March 2021 Posts: 140

Hi Bill, I have not chased down the 1955 song you suggest, but I'm pretty sure this is the well known song by Irving Berlin dating from 1927, see here (chorus starts around 1:30 in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I768Tqriz2Q . Oscar Aleman recorded a neat version in 1939, the intro of which is pretty well quoted note for note in the HCW performance, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35QvCm4BVg4 (pretty amazing when everything you want to find is now on youtube - especially older stuff!).

• Tony

Yup, "Midnight in Moscow" is a different tune/song, see here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBgfMf3HZs

On a historical note, this show was my first exposure to "real" gypsy jazz, back in the seventies (not counting Stephane Grappelli with Diz Disley and Denny Wright, performing in that format from a couple of years before). One has to hand it to the festival organisers for booking this band for a folk festival, at which most attendees - myself included - would not have much clue about what they were doing in terms of either repertoire or technique!. -Tony

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucorudolfochrist