DjangoBooks.com

Does Romane get short-changed?

124»

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2020 Posts: 768

We are supposed to talk about music and about musicians - if possible in a positive way - and this is not supposed to be a collection of "the-worst-I-have-heard-about-Romane"

Should Romane have problems you better keep that for yourself

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

C'mon, play nice now....

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2020 Posts: 768

Ah ah ah 🤣 that’s it!

I know Mandino and appreciate him both as a man and musician with "Sweet Chorus", he is a nice composer too and has always been involved in trying to ameliorate the conditions of manouches in France with associations. He is the one that says that we do not have to report any negative information on Django even if real and insignificant as it could alterate in some way Django's reputation... A lesson that all of us will certainly learn quickly!

I simply think that on Romane Mandino is wrong, of course he has been irritated by Romane efficiency (Newspapers, cds, school, videos, personalized guitars, etc...) because Romane was not a dreamer but a killer indeed (and also a nice man). What he says is that Romane's name choice stoles in a way something to them as he remembers the name "Romanichel" or "Rom" that designates (the first in a pejorative way) gypsies... Was it really his intention? I don't think so for me "Romane" is a latin adverb that means litteraly "Like (a true) Roman" but anyway the real fact is that for Romane Django is more a jazzman than a manouche and Django's music is of all of us. The name Romane is simple to use and to remember and sounds well, it just works, no one now can ask to him to change it, he wons it anyway! Try to carve out the same career with "Leguidcoq"...Of course I would have been the first to criticize him if he had choosen the name "Django".

Fact is that Romane is well accepted by everybody and also clearly by the Manouches, he dedicated his first cd to his friend Ninine Garcia from la Chope des Puces where he forged his own style. We must remember that Romane also helped Tchavolo to record his first cd ever... He invited a completely unknown Ninine Garcia on his second GJ instructional video, he played with Rodolphe Raffalli, with Angelo Debarre, so many times with Stochelo, he made the "New Quintet" and recorded with Babik Reinhardt, etc...

Was Romane short-changed when he received in 1997 the Sydney Bechet Price from Jazz Academy or when he was awarded the "Grand Prix du Jazz" from Sacem in 2013?

For me the answer is no!

• BonesBones Moderator

not going to touch that one with the proverbial ten foot pole.... :-)

spatzo
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    edited July 2020 Posts: 139

I’m confused. Are there some posts missing?

vanmalmsteenBucoTwang
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 959

Yes, that is why you can only see one side of an argument. The other decided to delete his posts.

rudolfochrist

Yes but we can't report post disappearance until 36 hours from the suspected incident.

vanmalmsteenPassacagliaBonesbillyshakesrudolfochristmac63000
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • scotscot Virtuoso

In nearly 50 years of playing many styles of music with other people, I have come to this conclusion: that among musicians (of all skill levels) there are more good people on the plus end of the curve and more sketchy types on the minus side - much more than in the general population. Some will give you the shirt off their back, always play the gig like a pro, and always help loading and buying equipment. Others get drunk at the gig and play poorly, have bad personal hygiene, steal from you, and worse. I have known plenty of each kind, and in public I always tried to keep this kind of thing to myself. People change and I try never to hold someone's prior mistakes against them. Whatever Romane (who I do not know) may or may not have done, and whoever may or may not resent some of it, in fact he's been an excellent promoter and teacher of this music, and is a fine composer and bandleader with a sophisticated and elegant guitar style. He tries new things and even if all of them don't work (I wasn't a fan of his organ trio recording and he's really not my favorite interpreter of waltzes) overall I can't find any weaknesses with him as a musician.

It is interesting that this old thread was resurrected - I'd been thinking about the many fine guitarists and bands that have been forgotten over the years, people who played exceptionally well and never got much credit here in the USA, especially guitarists here in N America.

PassacagliaBucomac63000billyshakesbbwood_98
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Whatever Romane (who I do not know) may or may not have done, and whoever may or may not resent some of it, in fact he's been an excellent promoter and teacher of this music, and is a fine composer and bandleader with a sophisticated and elegant guitar style.

I associate myself with this sentiment. Well said.

bbwood_98Buco