DjangoBooks.com

Mystery Guitar

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Photos Posts: 335

‘This looks something like an old Gibson L5, but the headstock logo looks too new. 16 inch across. Number stamp on inside under F-hole reads 3744 18. Couldn’t find a reference to that number for ID. Plays like a dream, though

Any ideas?

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

She’s a real looker, Chief...!

Recent purchase?

Mind if i ask how much she cost?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

It does look like an L-50 to me as well.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

It belongs to an elderly neighbor and wife who are longtime musicians here in New Orleans. Saw it a their house one day and offered to check it out for them.

Just finished restringing her after a thorough cleaning and she plays and sounds like a dream. Figured it would be great for rhythm, but didn’t realize how great it would sound for leads. Really cuts through clearly. If it were mine, I’d remove the pick guard. It gets in the way of my dangling fingers when playing lead closer to the bridge.

Does clearly appear to be and L-50. Still trying to get an exact date per the number inside.

• BonesBones Moderator

Plywood or solid? Looks cool. Yeah I bet a great one esp for rhythm.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

This is a great box for sure - The top is solid, carved, 50/50 that the back is either solid slab cut carved maple or laminate. (though with the stain and grain it almost looks like mahogany)

These are killer guitars. the price should be in around 1850-2250 usd, if it were for sale. Swanky with the original pickguard. Tuners look like their brand new or a replacement (usually the buttons discolor with time).

mac63000BillDaCostaWilliams
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Adolph, that number on the inside is probably a FON number. There are some resources on the web for dating guitars from these numbers such as:

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-gibson-using-serial-numbers-fons-and-logos

bbwood_98
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass