DjangoBooks.com

Any quarter-sized or half-sized Selmer style guitars out there?

DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola

I just recently purchased a Cordoba Mini (guitalele) after falling in love with it at the store.  Don't worry, I am still very much happily married to my Altamira MD30...

The guitalele is basically a 1/4 sized 6-string guitar tuned a fourth above normal guitar.  It practically plays itself as anything I play on it sounds really neat.  It is a fun little instrument.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anybody out there either has seen, played, owned, or currently owns a quarter-size or half-sized gypsy guitar.

Anybody know if they are commercially available? 

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 4,730

I've only seen SelMac styles uke's. I suppose any of those builders could add two lower strings and make it into a guitarlele.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Also - I believe that when he started Antione Boyer had a 3/4 size that was super cool . .

• scotscot Virtuoso

That guitar was a 3/4 size D-hole Dupont that was made for Francis Moerman - I guess Antoine sort of inherited it for a while. I played it quite a few times, it's an excellent guitar.

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsbbwood_98
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

There's one - a half size - guitar on ebay uk. The seller suggests it was made by British luthier David Hodson. I doubt that it was built by David as it looks a bit rough, more like homemade.

always learning
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@scot Yeah - it was great, I played it when they (Antione and Sebastien) were out west at DFNW.

@crookedpinky I have a hodson as well that has a very rough back on it - from a totally different wood as the sides . . so odd. The top is collapsing a bit too, but not too bad yet, sounds nice though. It's quite older and looks it, and I'd guess someone put a foot through the back of the guitar at one point. Hoping to get someone to fix it up this coming year. purchased as a back up to my excellent Vladimir Muzique les Effes. Serving that purpose quite well so . . .

• I have a brand new 'half' size d-hole Selmer guitar for sale. It's very recently completed and a first for me, based on some tenor ukulele jigs I made a couple of years ago. If anyone is interested let me know. I haven't listed it on my website for sale yet, since it's only just completed! It was a side-project for me, just something I had planned to do for a long time.

The tone is similar to a mandolin, but obviously only single string courses. The tuning is a fifth higher than usual, so it's tuned BEADF#B. It's easy enough to get your head around, it plays just like standard tuning on a guitar, you just need to know what key to "think" in!

BucowimChrisMartin