DjangoBooks.com

My Greatest Hit!

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited September 2020 in Welcome Posts: 1,854

Recorded live last winter by our trio "Dr. Jazz and the Jazzbugs" at our former Sunday night gig in Buffalo, NY.

(Who knows if/when we will be playing together again...?)

I have posted this clip for two reasons...

1- It demonstrates some of the best playing I'm capable of so far, warts and all... dedicated to my guitar gods, Eddie, Django and Oscar...

Playing lead with no rhythm guitar has been a real challenge for me over the past ten years or so, replete with crash & burn solos and #%&ed-up tempos galore, but it has been a great learning experience and I think/hope I'm finally getting used to it!

2- It shows how beautifully my Ischell CPJ pickup captures the sound of my Michael Dunn guitar.

Many of you may have read my missives at this site over the years, proselytizing about the advantages of mounting the Ischell internally, beneath the bridge between the A and D string... well, here's exactly what it sounds like... you be the judge!

Thanks for listening!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
Tagged:
rudolfochristvanmalmsteenBucoJoseScoredogBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeschrisfargen

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Love that tone! Sounds like an arch top. Great old school jazz sound

The whole thing is kick ass: singing, comping, soloing, bounciness... really great.

But Will, you're the optimist of the forum and even you are wondering when or if we'll all play out. I keep hearing musicians saying that. C'mon it's not the end, this too will pass. We're over the hill now.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Thanks, Buco!

Alas, the experts here in Canada are predicting another spike this fall... I sure hope they are wrong!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I'm sure they're right. But I believe looking at the overall timeline we're now in the downhill battle.

The guitar does sound great. But I could never swallow the price. I'm just as happy with Jokko's mic.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

That’s awesome! Although, I wish you had sung the Spanish lyrics part.

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,319

Cool, thanks Will. Reminds me of watching an old classic movie. Do you ever think about having the bass switch to a walking bass line to more thoroughly outline the chord structure during your single note stuff since you don't have a rhythm guitar? Might sound a bit too modern but also might fill out the sound a bit??? Then he could switch back to 2 beat during your chord solo. Just a thought.

BillDaCostaWilliams

Jose, interesting, I didn't know there were Spanish lyrics... do you have a YouTube link?.... if so, I'd like to share it with Dr. Jazz, he sings that one.

Mike, I am sure you are absolutely correct about the bass playing a straight four behind single note guitar solos and if the band ever gets together again, I'll suggest he try that...

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Great recording - nails the sound of the era.

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50
    edited September 2020 Posts: 49

Around 2:12 he sings in Spanish, that is very cool!

Lango-Django
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,854

Wow! What a surprise in the middle of a Glenn Miller arrangement!

It seems likely that this 1932 Irving Berlin hit was re-purposed in the forties by Captain Glenn Miller and his Orchestra as a wartime morale booster...

Wikipedia offers an interesting history...