DjangoBooks.com

You're all cheating!

TwangTwang New
edited September 2020 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 410

After struggling with tremolo for a long time and being quite discouraged by how uneven my tremolo sounds, I'm beginning to suspect you are all cheating and using the side of your pick! 😉 Anyone getting a decent tremolo with the point of their pick? I really can't can't get on with the sides for lead and don't like trying to switch between the two.

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited September 2020 Posts: 337

I always use the tip, but it doesn’t work good for me until I’ve worn it down pretty decently. It doesn’t create as much of a “shoulder“ as when you turn it around though,. With a brand new pick it’s Not as easy for me.

That’s about right...... Now when I’m playing electric guitar I like a brand new tip so, when my gators wear down they get thrown into the gypsy Jazz pile

• TwangTwang New

Yeah I’m doing something a bit similar but I’m not mad on them skinny picks. They sound fine but I just feel a bit more “dressed for the part” with a heavy pick. They don’t seem to slow me down any more than the gator you got there. Maybe I’d notice more if I was a speedy player.

I’m using a really old Wegen 3.5mm at the moment or a blunt manouche.

I'm cheating then. I sometimes use the side of the pick for a tremolo. But you don't have to turn the pick around in your hand, you just angle your hand inward making a really exaggerated bend, 90 degree. Yes it's much easier that way, sounds better too.

vanmalmsteenTwangBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited September 2020 Posts: 921

What do you mean by "tremolo" ? Do you mean a rapid "scrubbing" type movement - a bit like shaking a match out ? I struggle with that too but I certainly don't think whatever way you can achieve that is "cheating". That suggests that there is a "rule" that's being broken. Surely whatever it takes to get whatever effect you're trying to achieve is ok for us all as individuals. I use a very rounded edge pick to start with so my inability to do this technique is totally down to my physical and mental ability.

Here's my pick

Twang
    always learning
  • TwangTwang New

yes I mean rapid scrubbing on chords.

I do truly believe that players who use the side of their pick are responsible for most of the troubles in this world including climate change, pandemics and poverty. I put them alongside Nazis, terrorists and Aston Villa fans. They have left the path of true righteousness.

Great tip regarding changing the angle of hand Buco, thanks I’ll try that. Hopefully I’ll get the side of my pick in contact with the strings this way.

Buco
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I think keeping a light grip on the pick is useful as well. Too firm of a grip can also add to the chunky and unevenness of the strokes.

My feel is that it's firmer than my picking grip, otherwise the pick would move around too much. Definitely loser than a death grip, that will kill the it faster that anything else.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I used a pointed 3.5mm pick. When doing chordal tremolo, I notice my wrist becomes even more flexed than usual, I shift the pick slightly to make sure it's pointing straight into the strings.

• TwangTwang New

I tried angling my hand to play with the side of the pick. It works really well and does indeed sound better! Many thanks everyone !

Buco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Cheater!

TwangBucoChristopheCaringtonbillyshakesrudolfochrist