DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Clarinet blog by Samantha Wright featuring Hubert Rostaing et. al.

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
in Woodwinds Posts: 599

nice to see a talented young British jazz musician talking about Django-collaborator Hubert Rostaing alongside many other great clarinettists.

She's making transcribed solos available - hear her music on instagram too.

https://www.instagram.com/samanthaclarinet/

Comments

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Thanks for bringing this up.

Recently, I found out about the Albert system and that those old New Orleans Jazz players preferred it and now I’m all hooked 😊.

Unfortunately, Albert System clarinets seem hard to get nowadays. I have inherited a German System clarinet from my grandfather. @AndyW is it better to start with the German system and switch once I can get my hands on an Albert system clarinet or should I wait until I have one and then start learning?

AndyW
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

hi rudolfo, I don’t play either system, I’m strictly Boehm system, and it’s Boehm I’d advise learning and playing.

I’m not at all convinced by the advantages of Albert system for Jazz, and I feel you can get close to the vintage New Orleans sound with Boehm system instruments, particularly with large-bore bodies, open mouthpieces and lots of practice. 😛

rudolfochrist
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

thanks @AndyW

AndyW