DjangoBooks.com

Moreno no longer on Spotify?

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I'm relatively new to Spotify as of a few months. Earlier this summer, I went and favorited several of his albums, such as Yochka, Jazz tsigane, Fils du vent, and the duet album w/Angelo.

I had an urge to listen this afternoon and found that all the tracks were grayed out. In fact, I can't even search for the album...it doesn't come up. I think the only reason I'm able to see these is because they were in my "library." Does this happen regularly? Any idea why they are no longer available? Anyone else seeing the same thing that perhaps its an issue on my end?

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited October 2020 Posts: 541

That happens a lot on Spotify, unfortunately. The only Moreno I see now is Hot Club de Norvege. Apparently Spotify is constantly renegotiating rates with artists and who knows why some albums disappear... Maybe they should just charge us a bit more and pay their artists more across the board for their entire catalog. I pay for a ~$16/ month for the family license; I think individual accounts are $5-6/ month. It'd be worth more if they had everything.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Well, as great as it is to have access to nearly any album I don't already have, this goes to show me that I'd rather buy the ones that I like so I have them when I want to listen. Perhaps I need to think of Spotify as my COVID-at-home-old-fashioned listening station so I can try before I buy. Thanks, Andrew.

I just bought Memories of Django, with Tchavolo and Angelo

I HIGHLY recommend it. I'd love to see a DVD video release of this apparently live performance.

rudolfochrist

When I first got into this style, I had a chance to see Moreno at Samois. This was mid-2000s. I didn't really have the vocabulary to discern differences in playing styles, but I remembered his personal style with slick hair and cool demeanor. He was playing with the Demeters backing him. As I recently "rediscovered" him, I was struck by the forcefulness of his playing and came to enjoy it. Guess I'll be buying a few of those CDs.

Thanks for the Angelo/Tchavolo tip. Angelo was another that I got to see play back then. He's fantastic. Sometimes these pairings work and other times they don't. Sounds like this one does. I'll check it out.

I've been lucky enough to see on separate occasions Robin Nolan (minus his brother), Stephane Wrembel, and The Django All-Stars with Samson Schmitt. I also was able to get Denis Chang to headline a show here in Cleveland with some hired guns from the area and Michigan - that was fun hanging out with those guys. I was working hard to get Tchavolo here this spring then COVID shut all the tours down.

On another note, have you seen the film "Le Fils du Vent?" Moreno, Tchavolo, Angelo, and Ninine Garcia are in it. Great documentary.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2371264/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

rudolfochrist

Ha ha, that movie is on my wish list.

Yeah this happens, but usually eventually it comes back once they sort out whatever caused it be taken off in the first place.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

And just wanted to play The Rome Sessions (remastered by Ted Kendall issue) and the disc A is there but the disc B is gone. Go figure... it can be very annoying, yes.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Sorry, dude. I feel your pain.