DjangoBooks.com

Rome 1949 Recordings with Grappelli

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
in History Posts: 1,257

I love these recordings and the Ouest remastered issues make them sound even better. However, I have always been surprised that Django was happy for the pianist to play almost exactly the same intro every time. I think it can only show how laid back these sessions must have been. Certainly on some of the tracks Django seems to be having a “bit of a laugh”. Probably approached more like a jam than a recording session.

MichaelHorowitzrudolfochrist

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Just in case you haven't seen the compilation I made of all of the piano intros:

Adrian

Teddy Dupontgeese_comlittlemarkMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristbillyshakeswimlostjohnPetrovand 2 others.

Now that you mentioned "a bit of a laugh", it's probably that the whole thing was done tongue in cheek. I can't imagine Django wanted to record with anyone other than very accomplished but I can see him having a good sense of humor.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Ink Spots anyone?

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamswimBones

I had to look that up, says their songs usually started very similarly. They invented branding before it was a thing, pretty cool.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Impressive consistency from Gianni Safred.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Just hope the band had a set list. Can you imagine if it was just "listen to the darn intro and follow along." I can imagine me sitting there...."Shoot, which dang song is this, man?" Honeysuckle? Micro? I Saw Stars? Guess "Undecided" would be most appropriate here?! ha ha.

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew

Adrian--That is truly funny. Check this "mash-up" of a certain famous country music progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

Bones
  • BonesBones Moderator

Haha it's all about trucks, my dog, and mama....

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited November 2020 Posts: 1,302

My Dad used to have this old belt buckle. Reminded me of your comment. Missing the trucks, maybe, but seems like it would be inspiration for a country song. Then again, he bought it when we were living in Montana, where every truck had a gun rack in the back window.

Do you think we could revise this to replace "Gun" with "Guitar"?

BucoBones
  • gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

Hhaha............i never really "properly" noticed how he's using the same progression for all those intro's. Raised a few smiles i would imagine !!. Nice mash up vid !