DjangoBooks.com

Were the "Gypsy Rhythm" Audio Examples Recorded To A Metronome? (Question for Michael Horowitz)

Stamos666Stamos666 New
edited November 2020 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 41

Hi Michael,

Were the "Gypsy Rhythm (volume 1)" examples recorded to a metronome?

I notice that I can bury the book examples to a metronome. However, when playing along with just the audio examples, I can still play in time with them but I notice that, for some of them, there is a bit of push and pull in tempo; in other words, in some of the examples, the chord hit on the 2+4 is slightly behind the beat (rather than "right on" like with beats 1+3) and, in some cases, the tempo generally slightly speeds up and slows down at times.

Not to say that it doesn't sound natural. It totally sounds natural but, just from a "perfect time" perspective, it looks like there is a little bit of drift to it. It's very minor but am I just crazy?

Again, I can still play in time to the examples so it's not an issue but I'm just curious if my perception is correct.

If they were recorded to a click, can you confirm the tempo? It seems like around 123-126, at least where I am in the book (the beginning of the "Advanced Harmonic Techniques" section).

Thanks!!

Comments

This seems like a private question, not a discussion.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@Stamos666 Honestly, I don't know as I recorded those tracks over 15 years ago. It's likely I didn't use a metronome as they're not really playalong tracks but just there to illustrate specific rhythms, chords, and techniques. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fluctuation in tempo.

Thanks!

'm

Even if they were, not all metronomes are the same. Especially the old school mechanical ones usually will not be stopwatch accurate.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Yeah, Buco, that’s my excuse too and I’m sticking with it...

billyshakesBucowimBonesjuandererDoubleWhisky
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New

thank you, Michael! okay, glad i’m not crazy then.

loving the book. sincerest thanks for everything you’ve done for the community.

Question: Per other threads on this forum, you stated that Gypsy Rhythm is not meant to be covered front-to-back.

How do you see Gypsy Rhythm as part of the overall gypsy rhythm journey? Do you recommend certain transcription books as well so that we learn songs and also use Gypsy Rhythm to help analysis of certain harmonic devices used therein (once you have got la pompe down)?

a lot of the recommended books, like complete django and the robin nolan vol 1 and gig books, are sold out!

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

you stated that Gypsy Rhythm is not meant to be covered front-to-back.

Correct, it’s more of a reference book so you can just dig into the things you want to work on (i.e. rhythmic variations, comping, chord subs, etc.) Of course, if you internalized the entire book that would be quite an accomplishment!

The Gypsy Rhythm, Gypsy Picking, and Gypsy Fire books have always been the best sellers. Those should keep you busy or a long time!

Buco