DjangoBooks.com

Duved and his Transatlantic 5

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Really enjoying this recording on Spotify. Love Duved's melodic playing and arrangements, which is truly in the style of Django. Superb violinist also. Tatiana on vocals adds an extra spark! It's on my repeated play list. Cheers!

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristJosechiky

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Terrific choice of repertoire too: "There's A Cabin In The Pines" for example.

rudolfochristJosechiky
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I had the good fortune of seeing Tatiana and Duved perform in Oakland, CA in January 2020 and it was excellent. Ah, the good old days when one could attend a concert....

Josechiky

Yeah thanks for heads up Phil. I listened to it today and what came out at me this time is his use of dynamics on the guitar. Hearing him playing soft then digging in, I was almost like "oh right, you can also do this on the guitar...". Trying to remember that for tonight's practice.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Posts: 325

I'm a really big fan.

I love the Duved's Pre-Bop Orchestra as well. Probably the most ambitious and delightful album in this genre I've heard in a long time. Filled with very impressive original compositions and arrangements. It's like an alternate universe where Django joined the Ray Noble Orchestra.

https://duvedspreboporchestra.bandcamp.com/album/if-horses-were-roses

Though I would implore you all to purchase the records off Bandcamp if you enjoy them on Spotify, especially right now, when they really need it.

Also check out his first release from 2015 while you're at it. It's amazing, and he only put it out for release this year.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Has anyone taken Duved's course at DC's on-line school? If yes please provide feedback. Thanks.

• @Phil I have. There are key concepts that he focuses in on that are very useful in getting a very particular sound. The course is set up like Denis regularly sets up his courses: an introduction, some basic information as to how that artist approaches music in this style and then examples. Duved's course offers particular insight into what he hears in Django's style. If you want licks, there are licks that he shows. If you are a bit more curious and want to go deeper, he explains what the licks are and how to use them. That is valuable in that you can create your own licks or you can analyze solos of the era and recognize certain stylistic elements. As with all of these courses, there are etudes over common song forms. I would recommend really listening to and working on the instructional portion of these courses.

It is a good companion and a bit more detailed from the soundslice courses, but I think it hammers the same points home. I can't see a better value or instruction for the novice who is willing to work or for the more advanced player looking for some signposts to the style.

Buco
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Thanks for all the replies. Cheers.

I've said this elsewhere, but I prefer Duved's sound slice course. I agree both DC and sounds slice have over lapping content. I just found out laid out a little easier and more overt in sound slice. But really. By then all!! :D

• tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭

i like the sound slice course; but the dc music courses are much more detailed; get them all; full of information.