DjangoBooks.com

Modern Electric Django esq albums?

I’ve been on a kick for that late Django sound, especially the dirty electric guitar tone. Any recommendations on any current albums with anyone doing that sort of thing?

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I really like Quinn Bachand's Brishen - Tunes in a Hotel.

https://quinnbachandsbrishen.bandcamp.com/album/tunes-in-a-hotel

richter4208
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

not a full album, but i love when Stochelo has that electric sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RK3kfUzUU&list=PLqXhdfhT9YSsuE5AHDtm-gthGbe5GjABh&index=6

wim
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Just curious... has anybody ever tried gypsy jazz on elecriic guitar with a Clapton-esque distorted tone?

I was listening to some vintage Clapton the other day and it got me thinkin’...

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Not sure about that, but I’ve considered the sound of Julian Lage on his gritty sounding tele.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

It's unfortunately rare and hard to come by. I love that sound too. The closest one is probably the Djangologists mini album that Everett already linked, but even then it's only a few of the tunes done in the style (Margie, I'll never Smile again, Saint Louis Blues) when he recorded with that Peche a la Mouche amp.

And there are plenty of videos of Adrien playing like this sound at Taverne de Cluny, but sadly no full album in this style that I know of.. wish he would make one!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxaXQeDK2A

richter4208
  • TwangTwang New

I like to listen to Whit Smith a lot with Hot Club of Cowtown. It's Western Swing so not really what you asked for but worth checking out.

ChrisMartin
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

There are a few other things that come to mind - Joeseph Poullville and le tran Gitan(>?) and perhaps some things that the great ninine garcia has recorded.

I wonder if some of the Bireli sets where he is on a strat count?

@King_Cardboard I keep wanting the chance to jam some django with Frisell on his tele!! (hasen't happened yet, but I did catch a really cool sidewalk concert of his in the fall.

• db5db5 New

Dallas Baumgartner has a few things out there with a great dirty tone. Some stuff on YouTube and I think he recorded Anniversary Song with Ted G on rhythm guitar - great track with that overdriven lead guitar sound. Maybe they did more tracks together, but I seem to recall that tune in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeFAjzjtDY

bbwood_98
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    edited December 2020 Posts: 542

In my view Angelo Debarre is the best contemporary player who goes for this distorted/dirty sound. When he plays through a Stimer pickup / tube amp, the sound is incredible — and he really knows how to lean into the effect musically.

This YouTube playlist has a gig Angelo played in 2013 in Paris with this distorted/dirty setup. It's so good I've ripped it into my iTunes and have listened to it in full dozens of times over the years.

Adrian

BucoMikeKBillDaCostaWilliamsbbwood_98billyshakesMcQnomadgtrrudolfochristChrisMartinChristopheCarington
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 4,730

You'll sometimes find live albums where players use magnetic pickup.

Here's one with under the radar player but one of my favorite players in the genre, Steeve Laffont

He has a few electric songs on this album too

bbwood_98billyshakeswim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel