DjangoBooks.com

Interview worth watching, Julian Lage

edited January 2021 in Welcome Posts: 4,730

Not Gypsy jazz but really well worth watching. This is maybe second or third time I watched something that lengthy on YouTube. Others were probably Dennis' or CvH videos

But I started last night because I really, really like Julian's playing. And Josh Smith, who's interviewer, I came across him on YouTube but I'm not familiar with his playing. Julian is very complimentary to Josh's playing so I'll be sure to check him out.

I started and couldn't stop watching. Josh is really good at picking a mind of a guitar player. Perfect questions to ask another guitar player. And only another player could think of asking these questions.

One thing they talk about which I think I mentioned recently on the forum, is realizing what they are and what they are not. What they can and/or can not do on the instrument. And they're so open and honest about it. You know, realizing you'll never be Bireli (Julian mentioned John McLaughlin , Jim Hall, Monk...and he says he tried, at about 55 minutes in) but not in a way that'll hinder what you can be. Every minute of this interview kept me glued to the screen.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
BillDaCostaWilliamsvanmalmsteenScoredogadrianpeterja

Comments