DjangoBooks.com

A great intro to Django Reinhardt

ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
in History Posts: 187

The Youtube channel Produce Like A Pro just realized a great intro to Django video (as part of series on artists who changed music).

While there's little nit-picks on statements here and there, I think it's overall a great video and very entertaining to watch!

BonesBillDaCostaWilliamsBucoScoredog

Comments

But how do you produce like Django?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Oh cool! Thanks Christophe. That is one channel I periodically check in on for good content on pop/rock production. Will be interesting to see how they treat Django.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Ok, so I watched it. Ever since I was much younger, I remember hearing the story of how Django inspired Tony Iommi after his accident. I have never heard anyone make the leap, though, to call him "the spiritual ancestor of heavy metal!" But that made me smile.

As you said, some nit-picks for sure. Overall, I was left with the impression that it was written & researched by someone who might have been aware of Django, but not really a fan. Perhaps it was the minor mispronunciations here and there, or, more glaring, the point @16:19 when we hear the 1937 recording of Minor Swing and the text says it included a young Yehudi Menuhin & Max Harris performing. My guess is he somehow conflated the later Grappelli/Menuhin albums. The description text does mention someone else did the research, so perhaps that explains some of this unfamiliarity?

That aside, it is nice to see someone outside our small world find continued relevance in Django's music. With 500k+ subscribers, I'm certain there will be a lot of them that are learning about Django for the first time.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesChristopheCarington
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Posts: 871

I thought it was very good ...of course had an issue at 17.44 where he mentioned the picking technique comes from the elbow instead of a floating wrist. Also though nit picking I don't think of Django as a sweep picker, more of a consecutive rest stroke player, which allows one to articulate the notes better.

Bones

Yeah, and that he oval hole guitar with internal resonator built-in. He said he was taught stiff wrist picking technique, while Django was on the screen picking with completely relaxed wrist.

One thing that was great is that he didn't claim Django means I Awake. Instead he said could be that but could be the nickname from Jean, depending on which historian you listen to. This latter part could be coming from Dennis, I don't think I heard that from anyone else.

Overall, it is great. And like Bill said, any kind of popularising Django is a good thing, especially the guy with half a million subscribers.

And happy birthday St Django!

billyshakesBonesBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel