DjangoBooks.com

Rino van Hooijdonk - Tools for melodic soloing

DiDriveDiDrive Russia✭✭ Hahl Gitano de Luxe "Antique"

To all my friends and Django fans:

My name is Dmitry Kuptsov and I would like to introduce an online course by Rino van Hooijdonk in which I took part as a transcriber.

This school shows the “classic” style of gypsy jazz soloing. If you are looking to master the original flair of the Django manner or swing era in general- this course is what you need!

Rino truly is one of the few musicians that has authentic sound and phrasing. 

All tunes were transcribed by me, so that if you have any questions feel free to get in contact. 

And once again in my own opinion these lessons are great for learning the “classic” Django style.

The course is located on Soundslice platform.

Rino van Hooijdonk - Tools for melodic soloing

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsScoredogrichter4208Vebjørn

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2021 Posts: 1,854

Thank you, Dmitri, this sounds great! I will check it out.

Rino is one of my favourites.

I remember when I saw him at Django in June back in 2013 (i think...?)

There was a demonstration of various vintage and rare gypsy guitars which were passed down the line of four seated guitar players in a row. They would all jam on a jazz standard and then pass their guitar on to the next player.

Somehow it seemed as though whichever guitar Rino was playing at any given moment was the loudest one, and had the best tone!

Will

BucoJim KaznoskyDiDrive
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Looks good - I got quite a lot from the previous SS course on Django-style fills.

DiDrive
  • TwangTwang New

I have both courses and they are excellent. If you like Duved's lessons you'll like these.

DiDrive
  • @Lango-Django It's 99% Rino and 1% those big honkin' picks.

DiDrive
  • TwangTwang New

Is he using a 5mm pick from Nick Sansone? I got one of those from Nick. It's nice to try something different and these are really different! (in a good way)

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

It's not one that I made, as Rino makes his own, but I can guarantee it's at least 5mm!

Twang
  • I believe he was selling some of his picks at DiJ. I took a class with him and tried one. Too thick for me.

CraigHensley
  • TwangTwang New
    edited February 2021 Posts: 410

I love thick picks. Forget all the endless discussions about thick vs thin and how thin picks enable you to do Wemi Zemi Hemi Demi Semi quaver runs at blinding speed. That thin picks cost nothing and you can afford to flush half of them down the toilet and the other half down the back of the sofa. That they sound equally as good as old school thick picks. I'm sure all this is true or at least subjective and who cares what you use anyway.

The reasons I use thick picks have little to do with making me a better player. Big thick (and usually hand made) gypsy jazz picks make me feel a little more authentic. A bit closer to the source. A bit eccentric or quirky. They capture my imagination and set me apart from guitarist's in other styles. They maybe even play a small part in inspiring me to pick up my guitar more often. There's something romantic about using a thick pick. A sense of helping to keep a dying tradition alive.

peterjaBillDaCostaWilliamsCharlie Castelluzzo
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Yeah Twang, my thoughts exactly.

Twang
    always learning
  • DiDriveDiDrive Russia✭✭ Hahl Gitano de Luxe "Antique"