DjangoBooks.com

Question about Savarez strings

daverepairdaverepair Vermont, USANew Craig Bumgarner 'Selmer' style

I'm trying to identify what strings are on my recently purchased Eastman. They may be Savarez, and they have red wrapping by the ball end. But they are not silver colored, but bronzed colored: Do Savarez strings tarnish to a uniform bronze color?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

not that I've noticed.

Are you sure the previous owner didn't use phosphor bronze strings? Newtone makes phosphor bronze Django set for example.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Eastmans come with D'Addarrio Gypsy strings standard.

Source: Used to own an Eastman, good friends with head of D'Addario sales, not so good friend with head of Eastman sales 🙃

• daverepairdaverepair Vermont, USANew Craig Bumgarner 'Selmer' style

I believe D'Addarios do not have red wrapping just above the ball. Savarez strings do, although the strings on this guitar look bronze colored to me. Do Newtone's Django set have red wrappings?

Thanks for your replies!

• casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255

Gypsy strings are silver plated copper wound. When worn and the silver plating wears off, they develop a copper color. That being said, I think you have a somewhat worn set of Savarez mediums.

daverepair

I wouldn't remember what kind of wrappings Newtone have, it's been many years since I used them.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Just checked what I think are some used Newtone Django strings in my drawer and the wrapping is all metal - no coloured thread at all.

Bucodaverepair