DjangoBooks.com

AER Compact 60

Does anyone know if there have been any significant changes to the Compact 60 in the last 3-4 years? I might buy a used one, and I want to make sure AER has not made any upgrades to the model recently.

Thanks,

Jared

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I just looked at the specs on compact 60....I somehow ignored the name and assumed it had at least over 100 watts. But it does indeed only have 60 watts...do they make a more powerful model? That doesn't seem like much juice for $1000. The Schertler Unico is about the same price and has over three times the power at 185 watts. The David is significantly cheaper and still has more power: 80 watts.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Michael, I'm not doubting the value of the Schertler amps and I'm hoping to get one soon after I get my Park, but comparing the portable compact 60 to the Unico isn't exactly fair, as the Unico is much bigger and with an amp like the Compact 60, you are paying for size as much as performance. The David is a more fair comparison.

That said, the C60 and David obviously use their wattage differently, since their speakers are very different. Can anyone comment on the actual loudness of the two amps compared to each other?

Also, the difference in price between the Compact 60 and David is minimal when you factor in the $60 gig bag which the David doesn't include. You can get a Compact 60 for $900 shipped and it includes the gig bag.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Unico isn't that much bigger...the Unico is only about 4kg heavier then the AER. But about the same price and has three times the power. I think that's a fair comparison.

The David is actually about .5kg lighter then the AER60. Even with the gig bag, it's still $100 cheaper then the AER.

AERs are definitely great amps...but it is interesting to compare them in terms of power, weight, versatility, and price.
  • ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    In reference to the last couple of posts I wanted to clarify wattage ratings on amplifiers, they can be deceiving.
    If you look a t a typical 1000 hz sine wave coming out of an amplifier, and apply old mr Ohm's laws you get P=IE ... power in watts equals current (in amperes) times resistance (in ohms),. Now the key part is how they are measuring that value.
    If you measure peak-to-peak which is meaasured from the height of the wave to the bottom you might measure 200 watts.
    However if you measure it as Peak value it will only be 100 watts.
    This same wave measured as an RMS (Root Mean Square or the .707 value) you'll get 70 watts.
    Most reputable manufacturers use RMS which AER and SChertler both use so it is apples to apples and the David at 80 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load is indeed 33 % more powerful than the AER at 60 watts RMs into a 4 ohm load ...

Hope that is not too confuging ...
    BTW .. i own a Scheretler and it rips... i use several different mics into it as well as the DYN g ... great system ...

milzzzzzzzzzzzz
    "I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way"
    my granny 'Meme' Foster circa 1998 at age 102
    Django Jerry Jam - home grown GJ & Dead Ahead pickin'
    http://www.DjangoJerryJam.com
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    ViejoVato, that was a killer post! While I didn't understand it completely, it's exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thanks!