DjangoBooks.com

Amp for Kleio 47

What kind of amp do you use with a Kleio 47? Can you just use a solid state practice amp like a Crush 12W?

Comments

• TwangTwang New

You can use what you like but most would agree these kind of pickups sound best with any kind of tube amp. If you run it through a solid state amp it may sound too clean and sterile to you. However you might be happy with that sound. Some like it, some/most don't.

There is so much crossover with solid state amps these days anyway. Many sound as good or probably more valve-like than real valve amps. This probably hasn't been much help but there are no rules. If you like the sound of an amp then it's in.

• jragjrag New

Thanks Twang -- That actually helps a lot. I just am in it for the experimentation -- truly just to play around in my private room. I wasn't sure something like a Crush practice amp was even an option or if there were any sort of compatibility issues. Sounds like it would be fine just for fun. Thanks!

Twang
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

You can use anything you want - it just may not be exactly the tone you're looking for.

I have a Blackface Fender Reverb (vintage tubes) - for that pushed electric Django tone (earlier electric stuff) it's 100% the way to go. Small tube amp, cranked up a bit. A Fender Blues Jr. would be almost as good and a fraction of that cost.

That said, you can't practice or always play at the necessary volume - so that's where my Quilter 101 Reverb comes in. Tone is like 80% there to the Blackface Fender, but at any volume you need. Plus you can back off the gain and get later Django tone or more standard Jazz tone that's really good.

I can try to do a janky phone recording so you can hear what I'm talking about with the Quilter later today.

jrag
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

If it is just for home use, I found my Kleio, (and the Stimer and others), sound fine through a little portable Pignose 7-100. It gets a sightly dirty sound even at half volume and is loud enough for a normal size room.

jrag
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

I just started making my own amp for my kleio 47. I will make a new topic about that. I bought Mooer little monster AC and neodymium speaker and now I make a box. But I have Laney mini STB Lion and it have kind of vintage sound too and it's for batteries, so you can play where ever you want. And another pretty cool thing is mojomojo from TC electronics. It make any amp sound vintage and very dirty. It's working well with kleio. It's similar to Jr barnyard preamp, but for much less money and with eq.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@jrag

Had a few minutes so I threw together a quick demo - please excuse the flubs.

Kleio 47 on a Stringphonic Favino straight into a Quilter 101 Reverb w/ Celestion speaker. Recorded with my phone & Rode Video mic.

BillDaCostaWilliamsnomadgtrjragBucoWillie
  • jragjrag New

This is great! Thank you.

• TwangTwang New

I enjoyed this thanks. The playing at the beginning sounded quite acoustic at times. My Peche through an AER sounds a bit more brittle and “strat like”. I generally don’t use it with the AER.