DjangoBooks.com

2021 AJL 503 VSOP for Sale or Trade for Holo Modele Nouveau

in Classifieds Posts: 3

Hello,

Selling my 2021 AJL VSOP. I'm looking for a trade for a Holo Model Nouveau any year but very interested in earlier models with a rosewood fingerboard

AJL 503 Model VSOP Gypsy Jazz/Manouche 2021 Distressed Relic Finish

Comments

• VebjørnVebjørn Western NorwayNew AJL 503 XO, JWC Modele Jazz

Just curious... may I ask what makes you prefer a Holo over this one?

wim

They are really on the same level, both great builders. It was the relic finish on the AJL that I wasn't expecting. I ordered the guitar from Gruhn Guitars and from the photos I can see that it was a relic but it doesn't have any gloss finish. It's nothing bad at all and I am sure some people will like it but I just don't

Vebjørn
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭

The distressed finish in the AJL is contributing to tone. From AJL website:

If you've seen any vintage Selmers, you must have noticed, how the old nitrocellulose finish has shrunk and there's hardly any varnish left. In order to reduce vibrating mass, the coating of Model XO is also very thin. It's made of shellac – like violins – and topped with a very slight amount of matt nitrocellulose. Top plates are sanded uneven to maximise the vibrating area and strengthen the neck joint region.

The quote is for XO but the top in VSOP is the same: heat treated spruce top with finish so thin you can feel the grain.

VebjørnBucowim

In no way am I saying anything bad about the AJL, it’s a phenomenal guitar. I just went with the description on the Gruhn website and I didn’t read that description on the AJL site. It’s my mistake for not doing so and it’s personal taste. I’m not into guitars that are in that stage of relic if it’s for tone or look or feel. It’s just not for me

Vebjørn
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

The contribution to aesthetics outweighs the contribution to tone in SacoChazz76's case. ;)

Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I think we've all been there for things like this. It is like dating the "perfect girlfriend" that everyone likes, your family likes, your friends like, and so forth. To paraphrase the song lyric "she says all the right things at exactly the right times, but she means nothing to you and you don't know why..."

The guitar should be our muse, and we should be happy to hear AND see her daily. If there is something there that bothers you, for whatever reason, it is a barrier to you and your art. And like the relationships above, the longer it remains unaddressed, the more it sticks in your craw. I applaud @SacoChazz76 for recognizing that fact and changing his situation. Hopefully the Holo he seeks can be a continuing source of inspiration.

WillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsscotrudolfochristTwang
  • scotscot Virtuoso

Can someone please explain the appeal of a relic-ed guitar?

billyshakes
  • scotscot Virtuoso

I mean, I understand that many people believe there is some special mojo in old guitars, beat up or not. I sort of believe this myself, having owned many fine sounding old guitars, some worn and some not. I don't beat up my guitars and have yet to put a mark on either of the guitars I have now. Surely no one believes that the work of a skilled forger is the same as the genuine article. Or do they?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I said that to my wife about the "distressed furniture" fad. Sure, it makes it that much easier when your kids crash some heavy duty toy or something onto the top and ding it if it is already dinged up. On the furniture side, they usually just whack it with a chain or something, and then it just looks like a new piece of furniture that has been whacked with a chain. Don't worry, we will charge you extra for the "effort." Not my cup of tea.

BucoWillie

It's a look. People buy faded jeans. Or stone washed.

Not me, DARK Indigo.

billyshakesBucoWillie