DjangoBooks.com

An unknow banjo

elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

Hi! Some months ago I bought for 50 euros this old six strings banjo from a guy who said that it was played by his wife granddad.

I'm italian so the banjo could be the same, or at least continental.

Let's start:

1.The neck it's warped to the left if youbwatch it from the front and also the fretboard it's warped if you watch it from the bottom.This, I think can be due to time but also from the fact that they used an already warped piece of walnut.

2. The neck and the dowel stick are a one piece thing

3. The frets are made of brass and some have fallen off so If someone has some advice on how to change them and what to use its really appreciated.

4.The tension hoop its a one piece thing with the tailpiece

5. I remade new hook by bending some strong nails (it was hard but they came ou pretty good!)

6.Today I made new buttons for the tuners and they came out pretty nice too and I'm working on making a new nut.

7. The skin it's original and in good conditions

So that's what I can say about it, If someone has some advices, some infos or they recognize parts It would be cool because I'm trying to make it playable again and talking would be pretty useful! Many thanks

Elia

vanmalmsteen

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

Hello Elia,

if you will not be helped in this forum here (almost unbelievable), you might try this one: https://www.banjohangout.org/gotoforum/17.

elianu
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

☹️

• elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

And we could't find infos, just the factvthat It can be continental and homemade

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,854

Definitely homemade.

And as a longtime banjo player, I regret to tell you that your instrument’s “drum” looks to be of rather low quality.

Therefore, even if you could solve all the potential problems with the neck and get it to playable condition, which I doubt, it’s still not gonna sound very good.

IMHO, this instrument is best suited for hanging on a restaurant wall.

I would recommend against putting time or money into it.

Sorry if this sounds brutal or insulting. Just trying to warn you…

Good luck,

Will

elianuBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

Well thanks, it in fact most of the time it hangs in my room but i llay it sometimes with friends, I'm still happy with it and luckly the only money spent until now for this are 20 euros to chrome the hoop again so not a great loss. It still has been my first attempt to restore an old instrument so I don't feel insulted at all.

BillDaCostaWilliams