DjangoBooks.com

Unkown old gypsy guitar

OttoOtto New
edited September 2021 in Photos Posts: 2

hello everyone,

this is my daily player and I don’t have much infos about it. I saw quite the same and it was told that it is a Sonora Busato but I ´me not sure of that. I had to make a new finguerboard , this is not the original one ( it has two dots per case).

if someone knows something about it …

thank you and sorry for my english

Otto

AndyWbillyshakesWillieBucorudolfochrist

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2021 Posts: 824

What is written on the sheet that can be seen in the soundhole?

Otto
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

That looks like a Paul Beuscher label. Check this one out for comparison:

WillieOtto
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2021 Posts: 824

@nomadgtr You're right, it must be a Beuscher label.

Otto
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 959

Definitely a Beuscher label, so no nearer to identifying the maker. Could be from the same source as some of the Sonoras and whenever they turn up people like to stick to the old 'by Busato' stories hoping to add some value. But it seems most likely they came from some tie-up between Jacobacci and Carmelo Catania, possibly made in Sicily in quantities and sold on through other retailers, Sonora, Beuscher, and in Jacobacci's case sold on with the 'Jose Sanchez' label for the Gaillard & Loiselet store in Lyon. The soundhole shape also recalls Patenotte slightly but has anyone seen any Patenotte with a Beuscher label? Pierre Fontaine used to make guitars for Besucher and many others too and he had worked for Busato and was known to copy many styles.

OttoWillieAndyWBillDaCostaWilliams
  • OttoOtto New
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2

Thank you all,

it’s a beuscher, no doubt about that, it sur written inside the guitar . A lot of sicilian and french makers did instruments for that retailer. So my old Italian grandma keeps her mystery.

thank you again , I’ll keep on surching for infos

Willie