DjangoBooks.com

Paris visit

alecz2008alecz2008 New
in History Posts: 11

Hi all,

don't know if this is the right place, but I am searching for recommendations during my visit in October in Paris.

I want to visit the cite de la musique for seeing Django's guitar.....

I want to visit Samois for the house, the bar, the grave...

What else ? Any other places that still carry Django's spirit that I need to see ?

Thanks a lot for your advices !

Comments

• TwangTwang New

Chopes de puces or however it’s spelt. Is the iconic gypsy jazz bar in clignancourt (cant spell that either) flea market. I’ve never been. Always gypsy jazz on Saturday afternoons i think? Meant to be in a dodgy area so hide your wallet.

trains run regularly from Gare de Lyon for Fountainbleau. A short hop then to Samois

wim
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I think there was a thread many years ago about this very subject. I'll try and find it. As for Chez Fernand, the bar you mentioned, I think it has changed hands and although the building may still be there I'm not sure it's the place it once was. The house and his grave are still there, obviously, and they are full of memories so definitely do that. The last time I was at Samois, which was 2011, we were at the graveyard and we were approached by some young gypsies who asked us if we knew where the grave was as they wanted to pay their respects. We pointed them in the direction of the grave and it struck me that Django still has an importance, a resonance for Sinti/Roma/Gypsies.

There were a number of locations that I had mapped out, these included La Roullote, the bar that Django had part ownership for a while - allegedly, some of the old guitar makers locations, although some of these have now become other types of shops. To be honest I can't remember all of the things I thought were Django related and maybe I'm recollecting more places than actually exist.

always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    rudolfochrist
    always learning
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Up-to-date information can also be found in this thread.

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,471

Whoops - see that Adrien's map was already included. Sorry for the redundancy.

rudolfochrist
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • alecz2008alecz2008 New

Thanks a lot for your help !

I will definitely check some spots !

rudolfochrist