DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Teachers in the SF Bay Area

SimonSimon Berkeley, CANew
edited August 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 3
Are there any good gypsy jazz teachers in the San Francisco Bay area?

thanks

Simon

Comments

• Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    Simon,

Paul Mehling of The Hot Club of San Francisco teaches.

http://www.hcsf.com/
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    If I could afford Mehling I would take his lessons. If you need a beginner to play background chords for you, I live in SF and Im just starting out.

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know of any paul mehling recordings that feature his bartione dupont?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Sure, he uses it in the recording of Manoir De Mes Reves in the Hot Club of San Francisco's latest CD - Postcards from Gypsyland. It's a duet with Sammo:

http://www.****/cds-hcsf-postc ... syland.php

This album is highly underrated. Its produced very well, the playing is top-notch, and its among my favorites at the moment. If you haven't heard it yet, you really should get it.

And I don't just say that because I am a Bay Area guy!
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I take a lesson with Paul about once every two months. He's a great teacher, but he lives and teaches a long way from where I live in Marin County. If anyone knows of a good teacher out that way, I would appreciate the info.
    -fopa
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Yeah, I've taken a few lessons with Paul and I must say one on one I always walk away having learned a lot and I'm generally set for the next month or two on things to woodshed. We always go overtime and in fact he won't let you leave until he's sure you've got enough to work on for a long time.

I also agree with V-dub, the Postcards from Gypsyland CD is excellent. I would say it's more "musical" than just strictly being a guitar focused album like many can be. The band is super tight, the arrangements are fantastic and the choice of compositions is broad. It's definitely underrated.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • SimonSimon Berkeley, CANew
    thanks for all the replies
    Couple of questions, how much does Paul Mehling charge?
    and a class every two months? seems like a very long time to go in between classes, I am used to every week, or every other week at the least
    Simon
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Simon wrote:
    thanks for all the replies
    Couple of questions, how much does Paul Mehling charge?
    and a class every two months? seems like a very long time to go in between classes, I am used to every week, or every other week at the least
    Simon

Paul is $75 for an hour lesson that almost always runs overtime. He gives you alot of stuff in that hour, believe me.
    -fopa