DjangoBooks.com

The Asian Dilemna : Gitane DG-300 vs Gallato RS1939 Serie 1

Hi Gipsy Guitar lovers, newbie here !

I want to take the plunge on a Selmer style guitar. After some intensive reading (on this forum and elsewhere) I have selected Gitane DG-300 or Gallato RS1939 Serie 1. While I can't try any of that 2 guitars in my neighborhood, I have the opportunity of buying them over the web about the same price ( ~ 1000 €). Both are made in China I believe, and probably of a lesser quality than handmade guitares but they seem to be over 2000€ wich is out of my price range for the moment, so if you got to choose between them, which one will you take home ?

Thank you for any advice (or any other suggestion)

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I have played both and I own a DG-300. After fitting the 300 with a bridge and setting it up it sounds good and plays great. The problem with the 300s the way they come from Saga is the set up and bridge give it a very wet tone. Really ringing and harsh. With a proper bridge and set up it is a very good sounding guitar.

The lower end Gallatos are okay but have some craftsmanship issues. It is very much hit and miss. I have seen some that had tuners that didn't even work right out of the box. I have also seen that there had been some fret work needed as well. But others have been fine. It' hard to say with them.

If you order either guitar I would highly suggest having it set up and looked at by a luthier/tech before you get it. This will trouble shoot any potential problems before the guitar comes to you.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • naraponarapo FranceNew
    Thanks, Josh

I have read about the bridge of the Gitane and I was already prepared to replace it (Dupont ?) and have a fret dressing if necessary.

As the un-consistent quality of the Gallato you mentioned, I feared to hear that. My son has a Giralda nylon guitar from the same company that delivers the Asian Gallato's ; it's a well designed guitar (by Geronimo Matéos) but poorly finished. I had hoped the quality of the Selmer Gallato 1939 was a bit more like the 452 that was also made by Geronimo Matéos for Gallato and now under his own brand.

Bernard
  • naraponarapo FranceNew
    edited August 2006 Posts: 7
    Josh, I have discovered the online shop from the site ; I don't know if they can ship to Europe ?

Do you think the options (Custom High Quality Bridge, Dress Frets, Leather Under Tail Piece) can make me sure I will play a very fine guitar ?

BTW, What does "Professional Gypsy Set Up" mean ?

[EDIT] found the answer on the site ...

Bernard
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Bernard,

We ship to Europe almost every day....no problem.

-Michael
  • naraponarapo FranceNew
    Order sent ...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks Bernard...we'll cracking on it right away!

'm
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I was not avoiding you I just have been busy and this is the first I have seen of the ongoing topic. Looks like you have all you need! Let me know if you have more questions. You can email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> if you like.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • naraponarapo FranceNew
    Josh,

How about some green leather under the tailpiece ? Speaking of that, I thought I have seen some "new" DG-300 with an ebony insert tailpiece, but it seems Saga only sends the Gitane JJ with the faux tortoise piece. Do you think a spare ebony insert like those on www.**** will fit the Saga tailpiece ? or is it worth considereing later replacing the tailpiece by a higher grade replica ?

I am very pleased to know that you are the one that will be selecting my guitar and looking after it, changing the bridge, dress the frets etc... setting the guitar perfectly to be a wonderfull GJ player.

Cheers !

Bernard
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I just bought one of the Gitane 300's for my son, with the pro-set up and bridge. He is really happy with it. A nice guitar for the price.
    -fopa