DjangoBooks.com

Paris recommendations?

tallentallen New
in Europe Posts: 4

Hello,

I will be traveling to Paris in June for 1 week and looking for recommendations on guitar shops, luthiers, and venues to see live music. Throw them all at me. Many thanks! If the right guitar speaks to me I may have to bring one home. Looking for your experience and expertise.

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

Never been there - but opening the homepage for the first time really blew me away - and still does:

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

That is the old RF Charle store. Pretty neat history.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

Wim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆModerator 503 February 2015 edited February 2015 Posts: 1,242

* The best and biggest is Guitare Village as already mentioned. It's a little outside the ring road of paris.

* RF Charle is a beautiful shop definitely worth a visit. It's right in the centre near the Louvre.

* Dupont showroom has many guitars but unfortunately they are all duponts. Avenue Daumesnil in the 12eme.

* Don't overlook private sales, you can find some great bargains on leboncoin.fr

* You can usually find a few gypsy guitars in most regular guitar shops in Paris! Rue de Douai in Pigalle is a hotspot, virtually every shop on the street is selling guitars or sex. Rue de Rome in the 8eme is also a great spot for instruments, and if you are already visiting JB Castelluccia you will be very close, just have a walk around near there.

and a guy on the forums mitch mercier always seems to have a guitar or two for sale! he has quite a collection

this map helps : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zAIXQdEIIe-s.kdZcftOscJ8w

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Second nearly everything @Willie mentioned.

For some gigs:

• La Chope des Puces (reservations for big-acts like Angelo Debarre, walk-in Saturday's for Jamming & shows)
    • L'Apostrophe on Fridays (jam)

The next you'll need to check calendars for:

• Le Bal Blomet (it's also a cabaret spot if you're into that)
    • Jazz Café Montparnasse
    • Sunset-Sunside
    • 38 Riv (personally love this place, though TINY)
    rudolfochristWilliegeese_comBillDaCostaWilliams
  • jaredjared New
    edited December 2021 Posts: 32

Casanova shop, as mentioned above, is a must. I feel it is possibly the most beautiful and perfect guitar shop in the world and Jerome is a great guy. There are always some nice guitars there and the Galerie Vero Dodat is a fine bit of Belle Epoque architecture worth seeing for its own sake. Castellucia will have a few guitars in the shop but he is generally pretty busy with his work and is not a chatty fellow. I'd only go there if I were fairly serious about buying a Castellucia guitar. Some French is pretty important for both of these shops.

wimWillierudolfochristbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

I don’t know of any guitar shops, but I know a little hole in the wall that has a cassoulet that would make an old French grandma cry. Tallen PM me for info.

• tallentallen New

About 3 weeks out. Any leads on shows/events in Paris June 18-23? I won't be able to make it to Samois for the Fest that weekend unfortunately, but maybe some players will be in Paris? Any tips appreciated, Thanks.

• littleknickylittleknicky Sweden

Here's a site that lists many music shows/events on a daily basis. Might be able to find some gems:

Also, there will already be people at Samoreau, outside Fontainebleau. It wouldn't be a terribly long trip to get there from Paris if you find the time.