DjangoBooks.com

Anyone heard of this brand guitar?

Caro y topete, Model 950, Made in Guadalajara Mexico?

The wood is Sapele. 

Sapele is a hardwood tonewood with fine grain. It offers a warm tone with sustaining lower-mids and pronounced high-end. Sapele is popular in the sides/backs of acoustic and hollowbody electric guitars but doesn't see much use in solid bodies, fretboards or necks.

It’s in the same family as mahogany.

hmmmm? I can pick it up for $400. 

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I stopped by their shop on Manuel López Cotilla when I was visiting Guadalajara 4 or 5 years ago. As I recall, they only had one manouche guitar in the shop and it seemed well built and sounded pretty good. The prices seemed reasonable. I heard some gypsy jazz players in Ajijic and I think they were playing guitars by this luthier. The wonderful GJ player, Erik Kasten might know something, as well. He can be found on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/erik.kasten

• stuologystuology New
    edited August 2022 Posts: 196

If that’s your budget I’d go for it, it’s not that easy to come by Selmer style guitars under 500 these days. There are less risky options if you are able to get above a grand.

Buco

I'd jump on that.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel