DjangoBooks.com

Question.

Who makes a Selmer-style guitar with a really BIG neck? I'm talkin' a 2x4 with the edges knocked off! Oh, yeah. Laminated back & sides. I've never played an original Selmer/Mac, but I have heard they were made with big, manly-man necks. Is this true?

Most of the Selmer clones I've played just don't have that fat, wide, flat on the back, "feel" that I like. My friends Eimers comes close. Can somebody give me some suggestions? What about DuPont? Gallato? DA 503? Favino? Collins? AJL? TIA!

Larry
www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Larry.

Collins and (I think) Favino both use laminates, and I'm sure they'd both work with you to get the neck size and shape you want. Good hunting!

Best,
    Jack.
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Gallato is at least one that meets those criteria.

It is exactly what you described. And the neck is one of the things I love the most - 2x4 with the edges rounded off. You'll love it.

As far as I can tell (extensive study of Charles' book) it IS an original Selmer.

Talk to Alain.

troy
  • campfirecampfire New
    langleydjango,

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I've been eyeing the more expensive model for quite sometime. Are there any other differences between the 2 models (build quality) other than cosmetics?

Larry
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    campfire wrote:
    Are there any other differences between the 2 models (build quality) other than cosmetics?

Larry

That I couldn't answer for sure. **** at Dell Arte would have the answer to that one.

Oh,and in the interest of absolute truth there is one difference I've found between the Gallatos and original Selmers- the finish. Gallatos have some type of non-nitrocelluose finish. I talked to Serge Gallato and he was emphatic that it was not polyurethane but contended it was a proprietary finish used by the builders in Madrid for 50 years. I'm still not sure :? Don't really care that much, just curious. If you happen to find out let me know!

troy
  • ChadChad Bellingham, WashingtonNew
    campfire wrote:
    Who makes a Selmer-style guitar with a really BIG neck? I'm talkin' a 2x4 with the edges knocked off! Oh, yeah. Laminated back & sides.
    Larry

Larry, Michael Dunn makes a very wide neck. He will ofcourse do a narrow one for you if that is what you really want, but my Mystery Pacific has a truly wide neck on it. I would check out some of his axes. He does not go for the laminate at all, but the necks are superlative and his guitars are killer.

Chad
    Wholly Man
  • campfirecampfire New
    Chad,

I appreciate the Michael Dunn suggestion, but I have owned and played 3 of his guitars, and still own one of his "Rhythm Futur's." You are right, they are great, solid wood, fat neck guitars. I'm just looking for something a little more traditionally Selmer-ish.

When I was at Samois last year, I played many guitars by local French and Dutch luthiers that would fill the bill. Unfortunately I couldn't afford one at the time, because I had just gotten my Park. (which I love)

Does anyone here have a Dupont? What are his neck profiles like? I played one last year, but I don't remember!

I would love to hear from any other Gallato owners, or Dell 'Arte 503 owners. Thanks!

Larry