DjangoBooks.com

Vignola DVD likeable and laughable

JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
edited September 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 32
You've got to like the playing and guest appearances by Jimmy Rosenberg. No doubt in my mind, the playing is great.

But I had to laugh at the "cinematography." Some of it is shot in a backstage room. Some of it is shot in a hotel room. At one point, you see the "cameraman" looming in a mirror with a camcorder. At another point, Frank leaves the curtains open, and you get distracted by what the people across the street are doing. The climax is when the phone rings mid-jam.

Frank to Jimmy: "You gonna get that?" Jimmy to Frank: "You pick it up. It's your room." :P [dialogue added].

My friend brought it down a week ago. At first he said he was disappointed. But the playing is so good, and it's so good to see Jimmy et al, that he's glad he's got it. I know I'll end up getting it, too.

Anyone else have the same take?

Comments

• Tony SanoTony Sano New
    I enjoyed the Vignola DVD but I find it a bit strange that no other performers are named on the DVD box. Jimmy Rosenberg's role is refered to as "accompaning guitar"!!![/quote]

Tony Sano
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    Well. I've got it now and just watched it again. The music is brilliant. Frank really holds his own. I love some of his ideas. The phone bit still made me laugh out loud. (Watch Jimmy's face.) But this is a great document.

Through much of the DVD, Frank says they've just played Carnegie hall. I wonder if that'll appear on disc.
  • drollingdrolling New
    Sounds great. Where can I get a copy? What's he playing? The reason I ask is the last reviewer of the Gitane D-500 on Harmony Central claims to be Frank Vignola and I have wondered if it's really him...
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    I can only tell you I got my copy at amazon.com. Someone in the know is going to have to ID that guitar for ya. Enjoy.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Keep it in the Gypsy family.....get it here: Vignola DVD

-Michael
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I know Frank Vignola sometimes plays a Favino - I haven't seen the DVD though
  • oscaroscar yesNew
    Just got the video. Frank is playing his Favino and I think Jimmy is playing one too.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I love the fingerboard inlays that Franks guitar has... the stars and the moon characters...

I finally watched this video... it was incredible. Besame Mucho and Dark Eyes were my favorites on this DVD. On Besame Mucho Frank lays down a AABA pattern and then when Jimmy takes over he screws up the form, frank bails, and Frank finishes it on a AABA... It sorta interesting to see Jimmy make a mistake like this but you hardly notice unless you are paying attention carefully...
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy playing Czardas is absoloutly amazing, his comping, as his latest CD with the accordion player shows, is increadable and as interesting as his solo playing.