DjangoBooks.com

DJANGO REINHARDT NY FESTIVAL NOV. 7 - 12

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited November 2006 in North America Posts: 6,152
DJANGO REINHARDT NY FESTIVAL NOV. 7 - 12

Comments

• MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    Anyone going to this? I missed the last one, but i'll definitely be there this time.
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    MinorBlues wrote:
    Anyone going to this? I missed the last one, but i'll definitely be there this time.

I'm going Thursday through Sunday both shows to help out with CD sales: stop by and say 'hi'!

Norman CT/USA
    Cool, i'll be there Friday night. I'll be sure to hold up a "DJANGOBOOKS.COM FORUM MEMBER ->" sign so you know who I am :lol: j/k
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    I saw the show in August at the Lincoln Center, so you've gotta know, I'll be all over this one...like a hobo on a ham sandwich!
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    In addition to what is posted in the graphic, KRUNO will also be there.

Norman CT/USA
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I wish I could be there - I was at the first one and it blew my fragile little mind.
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    There was a review of the Seattle show on the Yahoo group that said Alexandre KILLS! BTW- Tchavolo is not on the Seattle bill and Pat told me Ludovic hurt his arm and will only play full accordeon in NYC.

Starts tonight: I'm going on Thursday - Sunday (as I said).

I can't wait!

best,
    N--
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    plankity wrote:
    ...Tchavolo is not on the Seattle bill ...

Well, he didn't show up in NYC either. I was looking forward to hearing him.
    So what did you all think? I was there Friday night at the 8 oclock show. Kruno and that 21 year old violin player (Alexander?) were both pretty sick, I was impressed. I thought the show would be a bit longer though. What's up with Samson playing rhythm most of the time? I think he only had a solo on a song or two.
  • AndreikaAndreika NY, NYNew
    We had Dorado, Samson, Ludovic and Brian as the core group. Edmar Castenada - Colombian Harp) was the guest, along with a Philadelphia guitarist who joined in later at the Sunday show.

Samson played a lot of solos. He really did some wonderful playing - with beautiful phrasing, strong yet elegant fingering. This was the best I have ever seen and heard him.

Ludovic has a brand new Roland accordion that had been made for him and has all kinds of bells and whistles and sound effects which he delighted in experimenting with. Some were very cool and added an unusual, yet moody element. Some were just strange and elicited much laughter from both the musicians and the audience.

Brian, as always, was solid, inventive and witty.

Edmar Castenada was the surprise of the night... he and Ludovic had prepared a piece shortly before show time that was outstanding and had the audience screaming. And yep, Edmar was able to solo on a harp on Minor Swing and brought the house down.

During the evening Dominick Farinacci made a brief appearance when a French songbird named Suriel was invited to join the ensemble (along with her accompanist). Farinacci joined in again at the end.

Last and certainly not least was Dorado. Delighting us in every way, he was as always brilliant, engaging and the most generous musician I think I have ever seen. Dorado played a haunting rendition of Nuages that put the audience in a trance, played violin, played solos, played rhythm and enchanted us all with a rollicking closing of Minor Swing that went right into Oche Chorne.

The guys looked absolutely worn out after the West Coast leg and then 12 shows here in NYC... yet they played their hearts and souls out, leaving us standing, yelling, clapping and breathless.

I am already getting ready for Lincoln Center and Birdland next year.

Wonderful night!

Andi

ps... Norman did a great job!