DjangoBooks.com

What other styles of music did/do you play?

scotscot Virtuoso
edited November 2006 in Welcome Posts: 653
It would be interesting and educational to know what other types and styles of music the members here played before they started with this kind of music. And what (if any) other kinds of music do you continue to play?

I realize that the poll and categories I listed are limited and arbitrary, and no one likes categorizing music. But I've tried to cover as many of the bases as I can.

For the record, I played acoustic blues/ ragtime and old-timey guitar and banjo before is started this nonsense...

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    I don't know if it's possible to set the poll to accept more than one choice per post...
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    I voted Acoustic Blues but have also played a number of other styles as well.
    -Peter
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Yeah I have kind of run the gammit. I played punk rock/garage blues stuff when I started out. I moved on to blues based rock, then straight ahead Jazz (which I still play alot because of school) I now play in a Alt-Honky-Tonk/ Flying Burrito Brothers, band doing kind of an albert lee type thing. I still shed this music a lot and listen to it all the time. I have become kind of frustrated with the fact that there are very few oppotunities to play with other people in my area. The band I play in now gives me that- this is fun hanging out playing music with other people feeling so it gets more attention sometimes. It is nice to play music but my favorite aspect of playing music is playing with others and unfortunately that doesn't get to happen much with Gypsy Jazz here in North Florida.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I've played (or do play) a number of styles. For most of my guitar playing life, I've played fingerstyle in a number of guises (Renbourn and Kottke for example), country blues, and celtic guitar. I've also tried (in vain) to learn some of Richard Thompson's style (he seems to be a style unto himself). Over the last six years or so I've been playing a lot of flatpicking/bluegrass (although I've listened to it forever). In fact, indirectly bluegrass led me to GJ guitar (although again, I've listened to Django since I was a kid; my dad is a big fan). I've played some classical, but not seriously. A long, long time ago, I played a Gibson SG had a full beard and thought that "China Cat Sunflower" was the be all and end all of guitar playing (unless you had a strat and could play "Voodou Child."

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I've done quite a bit of dabbling. I have a little formal training on drums and piano and have picked up guitar, tenor banjo, accordion, and electric bass over the years (and have had more success with some than with others). I stick mainly to guitar and accordion now and play in a band that does a bit of Django along with some Tom Waits-y stuff. My old bands did everything from ska to hardcore to skronky art rock. Thinking back on it now, it's hard to find a common thread... :? Perhaps it's that Don Drummond, Hüsker Dü, Kletka Red, and Django all do interesting things with melody and dissonance.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I played a lot of Dead Kennedys in high school, then didn't really play at all (except for a few months in a Clash-influenced band) until I got interested in early jazz and Django some 10 years later...

Now that's about all I play, except for an occasional gig with a violinist doing Jewish music and old waltzes.
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    pmh425 wrote:
    I voted Acoustic Blues but have also played a number of other styles as well.

To expand a bit,

In the 70's, when I started playing, it was mainly 60's British rock (Beatles, Stones and The Who). Later, I got into instrumental stuff, mainly finger style and then into Acoustic Blues and Gospel (Hot Tuna and Gary Davis stuff) which I still play along with the GJ I have been learning over the past few years.

I do know one Richard Thompson number (1952 Vincent Black Lightning) although I have not played it in a couple of years!
    -Peter
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    pmh425 wrote:
    I do know one Richard Thompson number (1952 Vincent Black Lightning) although I have not played it in a couple of years!

That's a fantastic song! I had a folk music radio show when I was in college and I used to play that one all the time.