DjangoBooks.com

new to the world of archtops

andyjandyj Birmingham EnglandNew
edited November 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 19
Hi,

Ive just brought my first archtop today, and it just has an ordinary set of strings on it. What are flat wound strings like? and are they better for playing bop? Thought it would be good to give some bop a go as well as playing django stuff on my mac

andy

Comments

• Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    You should certainly try flatwounds out, to see if you like them, but I definitely prefer roundwounds. Lately I have been using the Thomastik 13's or 14's, but there are plenty of other good brands. The Sadowsky strings are good, as are the pure nickel DR's and newtones.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I play flat wounds on my archtops. I use Thomastik Infeld 12's on my 175 and 13's on my guild. I prefer them to the others I have tried. I dislike chromes by D'addario honestly. I know guys that love them though. I think the DR flats sounds almost the same as chromes to me. I have also used the dean markley flats as well and they are ok. I think the Thomastiks are a little brighter. Of course you may not be looking for brightness at all. I like may highs kind of sparkley and my lows really dark. Just try everything you can.
    my 2 cents
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    just want to clarify - if it is an acoustic archtop and you'll be playing it acoustically then you'll want bronze strings. for electric the suggestions above apply.
  • andyjandyj Birmingham EnglandNew
    cheers for the advice. Its an electirc 165 archtop. Going to get some flatwounds asap, cant wait to try them out.
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I play my archtop acoustically, only, so I don't use flatwounds. I have tried D'Addario half-wounds, which I thought sounded and felt pretty good (but they don't match the tonal properties, acoustically, of round wounds).

Charlie
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I use Thomastik Infeld Swing series flatwounds on my ES-150CC and my 28' L-4 which has a CC pickup. They are my favorite flatwounds and work great with the darker woody tone of the CC pickups. The first set I used on the ES-150 lasted SEVEN years -- and that was with regular play! I'll have to admit the G-string didn't hold out as long on the second set, but my third is going on three years...

A.E.