DjangoBooks.com

Nuages fourth bar question?

jimbol51jimbol51 New
edited October 2008 in Pearl Django Play-Along Vol.1 Posts: 8
:? I am just getting into the Pearl Django Playalong Vol I book. Looks to be a GREAT book. Are my eyes playing tricks with me or is the positioning wrong in the fourth bar of Nuages? It shows a fingering of 5 then 4-5,4-5,4-5 5 which is not A followed by G-A,G-A,G-A, then G. Should be 7 then 5-7,5-7,5-7, then 5 ie the fifth fret am I not correct? Its driving me nuts! Thanks, jim in San Diego p.s. Just now getting into Gypsy jazz with my new Gitane D-255 model. Is it standard with the gypsy guitars to have position markers at the fifth, seventh, and then tenth frets vs the usual fifth,seventh, ninth, and twelfth frets? Thanks, jim in San Diego

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    jimbol51 wrote:
    Are my eyes playing tricks with me or is the positioning wrong in the fourth bar of Nuages? It shows a fingering of 5 then 4-5,4-5,4-5 5 which is not A followed by G-A,G-A,G-A, then G. Should be 7 then 5-7,5-7,5-7, then 5 ie the fifth fret am I not correct?

Hi Jim,

Do you mean the music on p.36? It's kind of hard to decipher what you mean in the above. Can you explain what you mean by "which is not A", and "Should be 7 then 5-7,5-7,5-7, then 5 ie the fifth fret am I not correct?"

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    jimbol51 wrote:
    : Should be 7 then 5-7,5-7,5-7, then 5 ie the fifth fret am I not correct?

Actually, the TAB should be 6 and 7. The music is right...thanks for finding that mistake!

Is it standard with the gypsy guitars to have position markers at the fifth, seventh, and then tenth frets vs the usual fifth,seventh, ninth, and twelfth frets?

Yes...most of the French guitars are made that way.
  • jimbol51jimbol51 New
    Michael,

Thanks for answering me. That is exactly what I meant. Usually I don't place too much emphasis on tab as my sightreading is halfway decent. In the Gypsy world do players such as Joscho Stephan, Stephane Wrembel read music or are they strictly ear players? The technique that these guys put together at such young ages absolutely astounds me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! jim
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You'd be hard pressed to find a Gypsy who reads. Fapy can...but he's still an ear player. In fact, all jazz musicians are ear players really. But it's handy to know how to read too....
  • fretbuzzfretbuzz Olalla WANew
    You'd be hard pressed to find a Gypsy who reads. Fapy can...but he's still an ear player. In fact, all jazz musicians are ear players really. But it's handy to know how to read too....

The best definition of jazz that I've heard is "Never playing the same thing once."

Django WAS jazz. 'Nuff said, yeah?
    Rhythm sections rule.