DjangoBooks.com

Genuine Tortoise shell for sale, is this for real???

2»

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I agree the more mastery one has, the less important pick requirements become. Myself, I can use any pick, so long as it is a Wegen 3.5 or 4.0... :lol: (Insert rim shot here)

There is a very good photo of Django, do you know the one? He is tuning up a Levin, and there is someone with their hand on his shoulder? If you look closely under his right hand, in the reflection in the guitar, you can see a profile of his pick PERFECTLY! I kid you not!
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    please post this pic! can you describe it? was iyt pointed, or round like dregni says.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you mean this one? This could be the beginning of a rumor...

t_django_and_me_182.jpg

For more on Django's picks, look here.

Best,
    Jack.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Yes, that's it. You really need to magnify it though. You don't see the shape of the pick, but the thickness is easily visible. Once you dl this, you'll see it more easily:
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    looks pretty darn thin. however, that might not be the thickness that he usually played with...he had to rely on american equipment when he got to the states. in dregni's book, les paul says that django was really happy when les gave him a "special, rounded" custom les paul- django said something like "just what i was looking for."
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    a wrote:
    looks pretty darn thin. however, that might not be the thickness that he usually played with...he had to rely on american equipment when he got to the states. in dregni's book, les paul says that django was really happy when les gave him a "special, rounded" custom les paul- django said something like "just what i was looking for."

From what i understand, Les paul uses a pick that he shaped out of a piano key.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    any idea what it looks like?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Well the 50's tortoise pick arrived, and whilst its nice for certain styles its actually to thin for the gypsy jazz stuff. I guess i'll plod on with the coconut pick, will probably check out the French supplier link too. Really i need to look into some good books to try and develop my style of playing, i think i've got most of the 3 string chord thing off to a T so i need to see what else is out their.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    The pick i ordered from France from here-
    www.maisonbonnet.com came a few days ago and its the bomb, even better that my trusty coconut pick. Very happy with it at my last gig, i got a few different picks over Xmas including a Tortis pick from Elderly and even though it was a well shaped typical gypsy style pick it just did'nt sound right. The maisonbonnet picks are perfect, they do an even bigger version of the 3.5mm, i think a 5 or 6mm. That one must have a massive sound. They are very expensive.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500