DjangoBooks.com

Robin Nolan, Alberta St Pub Dec 30th 2006, Portland, Oregon

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited January 2007 in Photos Posts: 765
Here's some photos from last nights great show that featured
Robin Nolan,
Ted Gottsegen (aka Teddy G) and
Michael Papillo, bass (aka Papillon)
with special guests: Pete Krebs, vocals and James Mason, violin.

thanks to Robin for making his 2nd visit to Portland, was great to see him and to hear his wonderfully inventive approach to gypsy jazz, which never fails to enthrall and be entertaining. Happy New Year! Cheers, Phil

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Great stuff, Phil. It looks like the photos they used to make album covers from. Remember the classic Blue Note era?

Given that Robin sprained or broke his thumb just before the first gig and Michael cut his finger open just before the last one - I'd say they demonstrated some serious Huevos. If they made an album on this tour It'd probably be named "Je Maintiendrai" or "I survived"

:)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Bob, remind me to call you when I need the art done for an album...that's great!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Jack wrote:
    Bob, remind me to call you when I need the art done for an album...that's great!

The Reid Miles style. He deserves a mention.
    Thanks for the sentiments.

Tis true... this is definitely an Homage (and a rough one at that) to Reid Miles, the godfather of jazz album art. He's one of the reasons I collect albums. If he or William Gottlieb or Rudy Van Gelder had met with an untimely fate, the jazz world would have felt it as acutely as the early passing of a great musician.

For your groovy enjoyment, may I, on this first day of the new year, offer the following: (photos linked / not posted ... in an attempt to stay somewhat on topic of "photos" without hammering the djangobooks bandwidth too hard)

William Gottlieb: (he took the photo in the upper right hand corner of your screen... and many others)
    http://www.jazzphotos.com/

Rudy Van Gelder: (the man who made it sound that good)
    http://www.bluenote.com/rvg_promo.asp

Reid Miles: (who now needs no further introduction)
    http://www.noomeejah.com/2004/fun/rm/
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • NolanNolan Amsterdam✭✭✭✭
    Cheers Phil I had a great time too!
    All the best to everyone for '07
    robin
    ps.could you send me some of the pics?
    pps. thanks for the cd's Bob!
    www.GypsyJazzSecrets.com
    www.Gypsyjazzworldpassport.com
  • Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing a link to the photos. This has happened on other Photo Page Postings. If it matters I'm using a Mac G4 with OS X. Am I missing something (besides the photos)?

Never mind...as soon as I posted this the pictures "miraculously" appeared.
    What kind of guitar is Robin playing? What does it sound like live?
  • Neil AnderssonNeil Andersson Tacoma, WA USANew
    Robin was using my Shelley Park oval-hole guitar with a built-in humbucking pickup. The sound is somewhere between a Selmer with a Stimer pickup and an electric archtop.

Hope this helps...best,
    Neil Andersson
    Well OK, I wanted to show solidarity with Robin & Michael for playing injured... So, today I cut the heck out of my left ring finger with a knife. It's all about the brotherhood and sacrifice, right? A guy does what he must do in order to aspire to play like those he admires. But it backfired on me because the doctor says I can't play till a week after the stitches come out. Realistically this means that I'll wait till the stitches are out and then smear it with super glue and get back in the ring.

Seriously though - regarding Robin & Ted's thanks above: Gentlemen, the honor was all ours - we truly enjoyed your visit, your music & your company.

-Bob
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    I second Bob's comments, it was a real pleasure seeing Robin and Ted playing down in our fair city, you're always welcome! I will get some photos emailed to you lads as soon as I can...currently having a little problem with space on my computer. Hope to see some photos of Robin's gig this week at Jazz Alley with Neil and Frank et. al.

Bob - sorry to hear about the knife accident, hope it didn't happen when you were making my new guitar? :D Hope it's nothing too serious and heals soon... a minor finger injury never stopped Django!! :lol:

Cheers,

Phil
    Funny you should say that - actually I practiced some heads last night... still have the index & middle in good condition... cant chord well but I can see why the ol' man played inverted chords on the top 4 strings. I'm not recommending that anyone run out and slice up their ring finger - but it has given me some insight - more so than just taping the ring & little fingers together.