DjangoBooks.com

Django Camp at Django in June: June 12-17

andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
edited January 2007 in North America Posts: 134
Greetings all:
I won't have all the details worked out till the end of the month, but in order to give folks plenty of time for planning I want to announce that this year Django in June will offer a 6-day Django Camp option for folks who really want to dig in. Our goal is to provide relative newcomers a strong introduction to the style while giving experienced GJ'ers the opportunity to take their playing to the next level with the support of expert teachers and players. All while having a grand old time. While a good book or a 2-hour clinic is way better than nothing, I think it's time North American players had this kind of opportunity for more sustained connection and guidance...and I hope I'm not alone!

Our guitar staff will include Emmanuel Kassimo (the lead guitarist for Am Ketenes), Stephane Wrembel, Djangobook's own Michael Horowitz, and Kruno Spicik (Kruno.net) along with special guest Wawau Adler (from Germany...check out the videos Michael has of him...I call him WowWow). Tim Kliphuis (from Holland) will work with violinists and John McGann (who moderates the mando forum on this site and teaches a Django class at Berklee) will take the mandolin chair.

I'm still figuring out all the various costs so I can't give an exact figure right now, but I'm sure we'll be able to do this for a cost that is comparable to other, similar music camps. Mid $600's with a shared room to high $700's for a private room is probably the ballpark for out-of-towners who need housing. Without housing, somewhere around $500 is probably doable. This would include all instruction, performances and, of course, djam time.

For folks who just want to drop in for the weekend, that will still be an option. But I'm hoping there's a strong contingent of folks who want to make a week of it. The fiddlers do it. The Bluegrassers do it. The fingerstylers do it. Let's do it. It'll be a gas.

Since this will be our first go of it, we'll be planning the daily schedule from scratch. I'd be really interested in hearing from those people who would actually consider attending...what would be a particularly appealing structure or feature for you? Now's the time to have your say.

If you would like an email from me when the details are up on the website (DjangoinJune.com), just jot me a note at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Lawrence
DjangoinJune.com
CommunityGuitar.com

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Kudos to Andrew for putting together the first all Gypsy guitar camp! I think this will become a legendary event...

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Agreed! Andrew's always done a great job with this-I've seen him first hand over the last few years really busting his hump in what is almost entirely a one man operation. The Django Camp is a great idea, I think! I've been mulling things over, trying to give Andrew some feedback, and right now my big question for any guitarists considering it would be this: Would you rather the workshops concentrate on rhythm only on one day, lead only on another? Or would you want some of both on all days? Michael and other teachers out there might have some perspective on just how much of one subject people can usefully absorb in a day...

Best,
    Jack.
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Thanks Michael,

We're already off to a great start with not one, but two corrections.

First, Kruno's last name is Spisic, not...whatever.

Second, the email address I gave out doesn't seem to be working, so for those of you who would like a heads up when we're ready to start taking registrations, please use <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.

Or you can just keep checking on the forum...we'll be in touch.

Andrew
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Andrew,

This sounds great! I hope I can make it for the whole week.

Jack,

Personally, I'd prefer a mix of rhythm and solo playing each day. But I'm easy (well, at least in this respect).

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Hey Jack, Hey Paul:
    Since the topic of rhythm guitar has just come up, I think it's a good time to announce the happy news that Ted Gottsegen will be joining us on staff for the entire week to help folks with their rhythm playing.

From my first (and, uh, only) trip to Samois where Ted was hanging with the people who (unlike moi) actually knew what they were doing, it's been clear that he is the rare American who's got la pompe down. You don't get a gig on the mainstage at Samois with Wawau Adler, (not to mention his stints on rhythm with Robin Nolan and many others) by faking it. However we end up structuring things at Django Camp, I hope it will reflect the fact that there is no such animal as a great GJ guitarist who is is not a great GJ rhythm guitarist.

Andrew
    DjangoinJune.com
    CommunityGuitar.com
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    andoatagn wrote:
    Hey Jack, Hey Paul:
    Since the topic of rhythm guitar has just come up, I think it's a good time to announce the happy news that Ted Gottsegen will be joining us on staff for the entire week to help folks with their rhythm playing.

This is great news! Sign me up for anything involving TeddyG...

Best,
    Jack.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Andrew,

That's fantastic. I'm looking forward to meeting Ted and just talking with him, as well as learning something from him...

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
    very cool, glad to see Ted is getting some well-deserved props for his many years of devoted rhythm playing!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    im seriously thinking about going also. :-)
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    This sounds so cool. i am seriously trying to go this year.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.