DjangoBooks.com

Charlie Byrd Quintet--Du Hot Club du Concord

edited February 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 597
Just listened to this for free at Rhapsody. Very laid back session with GJ-inspired vibe. Frank Vignola plays rhythm guitar on it. Byrd is so understated and tastey.

Two other instruments: violin and harmonica--which makes me wonder, has Toots ever done a GJ session?

Great to hear nylon-string in GJ, especially by such a great player as Byrd. I've read that he was inspired by Django and even got a chance to play with him while in Europe during the war.

Also, I've read that Byrd, Toots, and Grapelli played together but never made an album. Any bootlegs out there? Vids? Stories?

Comments

• mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    I never heard this one. Charlie was my neighbor in Annapolis and when I was young (too young) I bugged him until he swapped me some lessons for some painting he needed done. He Loved Django and he turned me on to Oscar Aleman. There is a picture of Him sitting with Django when he
    was young and in the service. I still run into his brother Joe and am
    lucky enough to play frequently with Robert Redd who played piano on some of his later records. Charlie was a understated but very cool guitar player, we miss him around here. I worked at a music camp a few years back and Johnny Frigo was still kicking and quite a hoot. I listed the personnel on the record below.
    Thanks
    Tom

Charlie Byrd Quintet: Charlie Byrd (guitar); Hendrik Meurkens (harmonica); Johnny Frigo (violin); Frank Vignola (guitar); Michael Moore (bass). Recorded at Giant Recording, New York, New York on June 29 & 30, 1995. Includes liner notes by Thomas Cunniffe.
    Thanks, Tom! Cool memories you have. Lessons from Byrd! Wow. Wow.

Byrd is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I've always dug his bossa stuff--who hasn't? He's a hard sell in these days of in-your-face shredding and pyrotechnics. He and Desmond (and, actually, Miles) have that understated biz down. Rare company, indeed.

It's only recently that I've been digging into his catalogue. I heard his last session was a tribute to Armstrong, who I know was also an inspiration to Django. That session is on my list to get, but I'll probably get this Hot Club one first.

Gotta find that pic of Byrd and Django!!!

If any other memories pop up, please post! :wink:
  • mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    I saw the picture in a club on the Eastern shore of MD called the Mainstay.
    Its a great place often featuring jazz groups and a lot of cool guitar players.
    They have a bunch of pictures of Charlie and other greats .

Best
    Tom