DjangoBooks.com

Django's Pick-up

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited March 2007 in History Posts: 1,257
Here's one for all you harware experts. What is Django's pick-up in this photo? It's not a test. I would really like to know what you think.

Comments

• SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Any idea of the year?

Sp
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the photo below the full picture? I love the goofy smile on his face.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiQjidRFnQoAegWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=126rjfo2r/EXP=1171643043/**http%3A//blog01.maybell.biz/images/121505django1.jpg

It looks like some sort of Stimer pickup that has had the cord cut off. If it is, then seeing as he didn't start using them until the late 40's I would guess that the photo was taken sometime around 1948 or 1949. Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about :wink:
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    So here's the photo linked to above:
    121505django1.jpg
    and here's a drawing that seems to be based on the photo:
    django.gif

Is it possible the original photo had a cord (like the drawing does) that has since been brushed out? Or is that just assumed here? And is there a reason not to think it's some variety of Stimer?

Best,
    Jack.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Here is a better copy of the full picture probably from around 1948. No indication that the chord has been removed from the photo:-
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    there's no need to think the cord has been cut out of the pic - there is clearly a jack on the bottom of the pickup, but since this was a press shot, I am sure it simply didn't need to be plugged in. no idea what kind of pickup that is however.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I just got Gypsy Fire (thanks Michael) -- there's a picture on p 40 of Django. The pickup in that photo looks very much like this one to my eye. It has a lead, but the lead appears to connect (possibly screw-on connector) to a sort of plate on the pickup.