DjangoBooks.com

WORKSHOPS/STAGES/SEMINARS IN ITALY

tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
edited March 2007 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 149
Hi all,
This is only an idea, but I throw it there, hoping that someone of the numerous professionals
guitarists in Europe collects it .

These are my considerations:

1) In Italy there aren’t teachers of manouche guitar,
so we are forced to teach ourselves (with books, videos etc.).
2) This kind of study has limits: at a certain point we would need
some exposition to the real thing .

And this is the idea :

If someone of the professional guitarists of the style (that we know
to be very numerous in Europe) plans to be in Italy for a while (work, holidays or
whatever reason), why not to try to arrange
a seminar or a masterclass or anything else can offer to us
the possibility to access real lessons?
We could try to arrange the thing working together.

I am sure that there will be many enthusiasts that would participate.
This is only an idea, that, if is shared from others, could become real !

Thank you,
Tommaso
Grazie Django!

Comments

• clausciclausci RomaNew
    Hi Tommaso,
    isn't really true that here in Italy we haven't people able to teach this style, of course they are really few people. The well knowed people are for example the Manomanouche in Torino,or the Les Hot Swing in Roma. I am sure (and i Hope) there aren't just them...(and Iacopo Martini etc...funny that his records are selled in France and not here...)
    Anyway i understand quite well your opinion, cause with a limited number of person is difficult to make the teaching "near" to us...(and IMO the books are good for tecnique maybe, not for playng, so lets play).
    But my comment is a sort of "apologie" to the few that plays here from a lot of time... certainly if u go in France you can meet a lot of people to play with and a lot of teachers, because they play straight this style from the golden era...(and also here in Italy we had some exponents look at the secton :wink: )
    Personally for this question i hope that, if the Gypsy Jazz scene take a rispectable place in Italy, the people that play the music takes care of the originality and dont go to be just Clones of the French music ,and fortunatelly in some of the few examples i can view this good thing...
    I'm not critic to you i have just exposed my opinion wich is also: in a workshop you can learn something that bring you the passion to REALLY learn something, in three hours of lesson ...your life don't change,or maybe your life change,but what about your playng?(and obviosly about your money...) of course better the every day learning...and a worshop if it comes.
    Claudio
  • clausciclausci RomaNew
    And another thing Tommaso ,
    here in Roma there is also the Scuola di Musica di Testaccio.
    If this thing can interest you there is a guitar teacher Roberto Nicoletti that plays Django music
    you can go on the site of his group http://hotclubdezazz.adinsy.com/storia.htm
    they play at the Bebop in March 22

Hope that helps
    Claudio
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    Clausci wrote :
    isn't really true that here in Italy we haven't people able to teach this style, of course they are really few people. The well knowed people are for example the Manomanouche in Torino,or the Les Hot Swing in Roma. I am sure (and i Hope) there aren't just them...(and Iacopo Martini

Yes, I Know, but what I mean is that they are few and unfortunately usually located far from Rome.

Clausci wrote:
    Personally for this question i hope that, if the Gypsy Jazz scene take a rispectable place in Italy, the people that play the music takes care of the originality and dont go to be just Clones of the French music ,and fortunatelly in some of the few examples i can view this good thing...

I don't say that italian players don't have to seek their originality in playing; I am only saying that I am looking for a teacher whose playing is as close as possible to the original style( in any of its form: parisian, alsatian, dutch or mediterranean), because this is what I want to learn. In this sense you will agree with me that, in our area, it is difficult to find one.
    Anyway I have found a fantastic italian player that meets my expectations, he lives in Florence, his name is Jacopo Martini and I see that you already know him.
    Thanks for the link, in my search for a teacher in Roma I have heard this band: they are great players and they play great music, but not exactly the thing I am looking for (their sound, and their gears, is not very close to the original style, but it is an example of the originality you were speaking about).

P.S.: Prima o poi suoniamo insieme!
    Ciao,
    Tommaso :wink:
    Grazie Django!
  • clausciclausci RomaNew
    you are going to take lesson by Jacopo Martini?
    :P cool man!
    Claudio
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Jacopo is a terrific guitarist, not only in this style...
    Giampiero Martirani, in Bologna can also play some mean Gypsy Jazz...
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    I spoke with Lollo Meier and Robin nolan about this thing some time ago, to set up something interest soon. The offer is already standing, hope that another mail or a call can urge the guys. I'll do it, I swear...
    :D
    PS: I can give GJG lessons in Rome! :D