DjangoBooks.com

Vadim Kolpakov concert and video

scotscot Virtuoso
edited April 2007 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 653
These youtube clips are from a Russian Gypsy show in Charlotte. Vadim can do a perfectly acceptable pompe playing fingerstyle, and play a pretty solid solo in the Django style - also fingerstyle. The choral clip here is especially beautiful too - it's too bad the power of this just does not come across in the video. This Russian gypsy music is not exactly jazz manouche but clearly has many common roots - for example the chorale style seen here is almost exactly the same style you would have heard in the russian cabarets of Paris in the 1930s. A popular tune in this style, "Ekhali Tsigane" is also played by Matelot Ferret and he calls it "Berusovie" - just a couple of examples. This music has everything we associate with the music of gypsies - it's beautiful and wistful, played with great skill.

Playing with Vadim and the rest of the Russian musicians in Charlotte has been an unforgettable experience for me.

Vadim is an incredible guitarist, singer, dancer and all around performer. He's doing a concert and lecture with Oleg Timofeyev in Austin Texas sometime in the next week, the exact date will follow soon. If you live around there and like great (guitar) music, don't miss this concert.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kjgFFAOWewU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQAr4PKRikI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fN_9htHX9uk

I hope y'all enjoy these clips.

Best
Scot

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Great music. Thanks for posting!

Let us know about Austin. It ain't too far from my neck of the woods.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Tks Scot !

Was the double-bass player contagious ? :lol::lol:

Great "Minor Swing" !

A+
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    The Kolpakov concert in Austin is at the Flawn Academic Center on the UT campus. The date is 23 March at 6PM - that's all the info I have. If anyone needs more data PM me and I'll try to find out more.

Best
    Scot
    Thanks, scot.

Can't make it. :(
  • We had the privelage of meeting Vadim while on tour. He came to our show with Scott Wise in North Carolina. After the show he played a couple valses for us, accompanied by Scott.... For lack of better words, holy cow, talk about drueling over his playing. He is a fabulous player, all fingers... right from the roots of Manouche, Russian, and Gypsy folk. Scott sounded great on rhythm.
    He played my guitar with a pick for a few moments, checking it out... he did some comping, sounded very Sinti, very nice.
    As you know, he plays the 7 string Russian guitar. It is real nice.
    This cat is deffinitely up and coming in the Roma/US Music Community.
    Vadim is also a really nice guy and speaks fluent English. Both of these factors are refreshing. He expressed happiness and approval to our playing.
    Scott Wise is tremendous as well. Props to these players.

If you have a chance to see Vadim perform, dont hesitate.
    Thanks for coming to the show Vadim!