DjangoBooks.com

Ferre Bros. CD recommendations...

Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
edited February 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 287
I see a lot of Ferre Bros. CDs for sale here; can someone recommend one or two? I guess their material doesn't include a lot of swing?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Charlie,

My favorites are the first two: Pour Django and Gypsy Dreams

Those albums are all guitar duets....no other instruments. I think the Ferre brothers have developed the guitar duet to an unprecedented level. They play together in a way only brothers can. And I just love the way they where recorded...those old Favinos sound awesome.

Some of their stuff with a standard rhythm section, like NY, NY and Confirmation is closer to normal jazz performance practice. So that might be more "listenable" for some.

Have fun!

'm
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    If you want a real trip get Rainbow of Life. It is really great and nice music to listen to in the morning or when you have people over for dinner. But when you get your head phones out and crank it up it is a real treat! So many great gems on that CD
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I found it very hard to get into the Ferre brothers stuff.

I have "Gypsy Dreams" and while I can hear the virtuosity, I can tell its definitely not for the more traditional fans of Gypsy Jazz; its pretty out there in avant-gard land. I find myself listening to it and thinking "Man, I can't tell whether they are on the A or B section, or what chord progression this is." I wish I could understand that style, but its pretty overwhelming and unlistenable for me.

So if you're expecting to hear the typical pompe and django solos, you might want to try one of their non-duet albums.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I think Intersection is one of their best albums, and is fairly accessible, and I would actually recommend that as the first purchase for someone wanting to hear their stuff.
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    nwilkins wrote:
    I think Intersection is one of their best albums, and is fairly accessible, and I would actually recommend that as the first purchase for someone wanting to hear their stuff.

I would agree with that, though "Gypsy Dreams" is also very good.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    thrip wrote:
    nwilkins wrote:

I would agree with that, though "Gypsy Dreams" is also very good.

Yes Tim
    Gypsy Dreams and also Pour Django,which features amazingly out there versions of 'Rhythm Futur' and 'Nuages'-- certainly had a massive impact on my approach to the Music
    What is amazing is that Boulou and Elios already had everything there in terms of their style and concept--and so naturally continued the tradition of Matelot and particularly Baro
    Rainbow of life also is very beautiful--worth getting for the heartbreaking ballad "laurent" which Boulou first recorded with Babik And Escoude(Three of a kind cd)--audiophile recording as well
    Stu
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Thanks for the replies, everyone; I'll check those out.

Charlie