DjangoBooks.com

2-string tremolo question

robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
edited April 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 244
In picking pattern #14 (2 string tremolo), one is supposed to stroke both strings on both up and down strokes. I can get both of them at lower speed on the downstroke, but on the upstroke I can only get the top (E) string at higher speed. To get the lower (B) string on the upstroke as well, I have to slow way down and rapidly swivel my wrist upward in a tight space or I run into the 3rd (G) string. Is this something I have to perfect first at extremely slow speed?

-Rob

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the trick is to block the G string with the left hand fingers (however you can).. and with the right hand use more range of motion so in the event u accidently hit the G string, it will be muted and you're guaranteed to get both strings
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    dennis wrote:
    the trick is to block the G string with the left hand fingers (however you can).. and with the right hand use more range of motion so in the event u accidently hit the G string, it will be muted and you're guaranteed to get both strings

Thanks Dennis,

I wondered actually if that was "allowed." I found that damping the 3rd string with my thumb works quite well at that. Which begs another question:

What about 2-string tremoloing on 2nd - 3rd, or 3rd - 4th strings, etc.? Is the solution always with the left hand? I've dampened strings that way since day one, but wasn't sure if it's kosher in GJ technique.

-Rob
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it's a general rule for guitar, whenever you find yourself in a situation where unwanted string noise may occur (to the point where it becomes irritating), you find a way to mute the strings...

that's also how you play octaves, you block every single unwanted string and whack all the strings with the right hand, it's what igves that extra percussive punch
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    dennis wrote:
    it's a general rule for guitar, whenever you find yourself in a situation where unwanted string noise may occur (to the point where it becomes irritating), you find a way to mute the strings...

that's also how you play octaves, you block every single unwanted string and whack all the strings with the right hand, it's what igves that extra percussive punch

I do indeed use that technique with octaves, i.e., strum with a pick, damping unwanted noise, rather than w/thumb like Wes or fingers...so it looks like GJ ain't all that different an animal from straight-ahead (my bag) then. There's hope for me!

Thanks again,

-Rob