DjangoBooks.com

Right-hand position of fingers

robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
edited April 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 244
Excuse what may be beating a dead horse. Should one let ones last three fingers float free or curl them in under the knuckles for better control? For years I played with fingers out, even using the pinky on the pickguard for an appoggiatura. It never worked well and created tension.

Now I've overhauled my technique, closing the fingers and letting the hand float above the strings...which has been frustratingly slow to improve but is improving. At this point I don't want to open the fingers again and return to bad old ways of the past and I like the solidity of the closed-hand approach.

Also: what is the optimal distance above the strings for the hand to float? I notice a subtle difference between distant and close positions in the metacarpal nerves/muscles used.

-Rob

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    should one let ones last three fingers float free or curl them in under the knuckles for better control?

Either works....I'd say the vast majority of Gypsy players, including Django, let their fingers brush the top. As long as you're not planting your fingers it's OK.
    At this point I don't want to open the fingers again and return to bad old ways of the past and I like the solidity of the closed-hand approach.

Nothing that bad about an open hand technique...Raphael Fays is the only Gypsy I can think of who plays with a closed hand ALL the time.
    Also: what is the optimal distance above the strings for the hand to float? I notice a subtle difference between distant and close positions in the metacarpal nerves/muscles used.

Depends which part of the hand....if you're playing with a closed fist, then the tops of your fingers will actually be scarping on the strings. The wrist is pretty high, about 3 inches.

Good luck!

'm
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Thanks Michael. I'll keep an open mind and not get wedded to open or closed.

-R