DjangoBooks.com

CD recommendations

aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 78
Hey All,
Lately I've been hooked on the Ferre Bros "Pour Django"
Anyone have any recommendations to discs similar?
Thanx

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You have excellent taste! Pour Django is also a favorite of mine. This is from the same era and also very good!

There were playing so hard, and so intensely back then. It's just amazing to listen to this incredible mix of brute force technique, harmonic sophistication, Gypsy folk tunes, Django, and avante garde all wrapped up into one. A lot of the later Ferre stuff is cool too...but they just don't play like this anymore!
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    thanks Michael,
    any chance of throwing this on the order I just placed?
    will do!
    I should also mention that the way the guitars were recorded on Pour Django and Gypsy Dreams is just awesome! They're playing these barky old Jacques Favinos and they sound so good. The sound just jumps out of the speakers. This is at least partially due to the fact these CDs are all guitar duets, so there's no bass, violin, etc. You can really hear the awesome tone of these guitars...
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a big reason I was looking for more of this. I love the tone, and the freedom of the compositions. I love that it sounds lke it was all done in one take, some things get muddy, but finding that sponteneaity in recording is so rare today.
    Can't wait to hear more.
    So true....they're really playing with a lot of chutzpah, and really don't seem to give a flying-f if they make a little mistake. That vibe really comes off the record....so cool!
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Michael,

I couldn't agree more. The Ferre Brothers are true jazzmen. All of their recorded work is worth a listen. The way they blend jazz, classical and Euro folk music is truly spellbinding.

Swing on Boulou and Elios!

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    I should also mention that the way the guitars were recorded on Pour Django and Gypsy Dreams is just awesome! They're playing these barky old Jacques Favinos and they sound so good. The sound just jumps out of the speakers. This is at least partially due to the fact these CDs are all guitar duets, so there's no bass, violin, etc. You can really hear the awesome tone of these guitars...

Cool! I was listening to Pour Django driving to work this morning , and my guess was that they were playing Favinos. My ear is learning faster then my fingers!
    -fopa