DjangoBooks.com

More CD Recommendations

riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
edited May 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 11
Hi All,
Could anyone recommend some artists + CDs - perhaps six to ten - which would form a good base to start appreciating what's available?

Areas I'm interested in hearing examples of are:

"tuneful" playing and soloing (not interested in superchops/shredding/w***ing etc)
Good sound and tone on the guitar
Perhaps more biased to older generation players (1940s- 1960s) but I'm open to suggestions
Perhaps more biased toward "jazz" but again open to suggestions
Groups with other instruments besides great guitar - accordion/violin/clarinet w.h.y

I have some Django - (fabulous) and the Gypsy Jazz School CD amongst whom J Reinhardt , Vees, The Ferrets stand out, not so many on the second CD though. I also have the swing Valses by Barro Ferret which I like - apart from the vibraphone.

Thanks for your help,
Regards Roger
PS Apologies if this has been done already - perhaps you could point me to a good thread if there is one. :)

Comments

• brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    "tuneful" playing and soloing (not interested in superchops/shredding/w***ing etc)
    You can't go wrong with Rodolphe Raffalli's "A Georges Brassens".
    Groups with other instruments besides great guitar - accordion
    Ludovic Beier has 4 excellent albums with Angelo Debarre. All 3 albums by Les Pommes de ma Douche are incredible. And Marcel Loeffler's "Source Manouche" is great.

Happy listening!
    Brandon
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I really like the three Henri Crolla albums that were released as part of the "Jazz in Paris" series several years ago. I'm not sure if they're still in print.

I don't own it, but I've heard a few tracks from Laurent Bajata's "Rue de Pompe" and it seems to be very much in the vein of the electric '60s stuff. Very tasteful and not too flashy.

I'll second "A George Brassens."
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Hey there,

I'm a huge fan of Koen de Cauter -- his stuff with Fapy/WASO is a must, and his later recordings like 'Romani' are absolutely stunning.
    best,
    Pete
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    kidtulsa wrote:
    Hey there,

I'm a huge fan of Koen de Cauter -- his stuff with Fapy/WASO is a must, and his later recordings like 'Romani' are absolutely stunning.
    best,
    Pete

I'll second that recommendation, too. His new Fapy-less Waso Quartet, the De Cauter Family disc, and the P'tits Belges stuff are also excellent. The recordings are really natural sounding, the arrangements are very interesting, and the solos are melodic and generally shun mile-a-minute shredding.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    You seem to be asking for 2 things at once - I want to form a base of what's out there and I want it according to my interest. However I assume you are more interested in guitar over being a musicologist, correct? So, for the guitarist:

If you like Baro, you must get Matelo. And the Tchan Tchou Vidal. These 3 CDs comprise the 'Holy Trinity' of older generation players. After that Star Eyes (Fapy Lavertin) is the alpha and omega of Django applied swing, doing Django as good as he does himself, and I wouldn't say that about anyone else. It is OOP but you must find it nonetheless. Then virtually any and everything by Angelo Debarre, and something by Tchavolo just for sheer Gypsy heart. Once you've absorbed that stuff you've got a solid foundation on which you can continue to branch out toward other instrumental arrangements and specialties as you have mentioned, but that's how I'd start.
  • riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
    hi All,

Thanks for the replies much appreciated - I shall get onto tracking some of these down :)
    Elliot wrote:
    You seem to be asking for 2 things at once - I want to form a base of what's out there and I want it according to my interest. However I assume you are more interested in guitar over being a musicologist, correct? So, for the guitarist:

Hi Elliot,
    thanks for your recommendations.
    Perhaps I am asking for two things... I know what I like in other forms of jazz and music in general so I was really only trying to get a steer toward players whom I might like rather than get bogged down with players and music which is all show and no feeling.
    And yes - definitely more interested in guitar for learning purposes, I have one and I'm learning it :D !
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Riversax,

You might be interested in listening to my "web radio" show (link below). Most discs, if in print, include links to where you can buy them. My playlist is heavy on musette at the moment, but I'll be updating it before long with more modern stuff. (Raffalli and some other takes on Brassens are currently included.)

Best wishes,

John
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    I think you might like Philippe Nedjar. His playing is quite melodic on the CD "The Shadow of Your Smile".
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Everything begins and ends with Django.
    It's the only thing that never gets old.
    get the entire integrale series.
    You won't be dissapointed. It's worth the money.
  • bertonebertone Morristown, NJNew
    Hi,

I'll venture a bit against the grain and recommend that you pick up the "Portrait of Jimmy Rosenberg" CD.
    Don't make the mistake I did when getting into this music by reading stuff on the internet sites about Jimmy being a "speed freak", etc.. if you like good tone on the guitar, and appreciate a jazz improviser with great feeling and excellent technique put to use for musical ends, you will enjoy this CD.