DjangoBooks.com

Good strings for DG-250M

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
I have been unhappy with what seems to be a very high tension on my Saga DG-250M so I thought I would try another kind of strings. I got some of the Galli G-SL10 (Silk & Steel, light) It made some what of a difference and the tension feels better. Not great but better and the sound is okay. Still very snappy and a bit harsh but better then with other strings I have used. So if there are any others out there that have had the same problem this might be a way to help out.

Cheers

Comments

• mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    I use Dell'Arte strings and I am quite happy with them
    They sound good, They are easy to get , And I believe they are
    cheaper than the Argentines that you are probably going to hear alot about
    once everbody else looks at your post.
    I am curios as to what kind of strings you were using before you went to the
    Gali strings. If it did'nt get much better when you put them on
    you might want to have some one look at your setup.
    Good Luck
    Tom
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I was using the Galli extra light G-R500. I really like the G-R500 on the other guitar I play but on the Saga they just don't work.
    As for set up on the Saga... I have played about 5 others and they are all the same. They are just not.... well great to say it bluntly. But for the money they are great. It might be the supper thin neck, the neck angle... I don't know what it is. I spent about 6 month tweaking my set up and it is (for that guitar) perfect. It is on the low side right now (it's that time of year) and I have not messed with is. If you play a Park for instance the tension feels way less then on the Saga. same scale length, same strings, same set up... they just feel different. Now like I said before, for the price there is nothing out there that can touch it.

Cheers
  • mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    Hi Josh
    From what you are saying it sounds like you have the set up thing
    under control. That being said I dont think its a string problem.
    I am always amazed at how two guitars that have the same scale
    length and a similar set up can be so different. I struggle with this
    voodoo all the time and no one has given me a diffinitive answer as
    to why this is. Maybe some one here on the forum will straighten us out
    There is nothing worse than fighting with your axe.

Best
    Tom
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I don't fight with here any more. I just say "your right" and hope she doesn't slap me. All that to say... I think it is up to the player what sound, action, tension, color, scale length, pick, case and shoes they like. I really liked the instrument when I got it. Now a year later after playing allot of other guitars... I like others better and my taste in shoes has changed a bit too.

Cheers
  • lnblnb WalsallNew
    Gitane strings by Newtone in the U.K are wound on a round core so have less of a high tension.
  • Major7Major7 New
    I keep coming back to the Argtentines light. Dell Arte's are a good second.