DjangoBooks.com

Anyone played a Dell Arte Pigalle?

It looks like they jumped into the "killer budget rig" arena. Initial reports are sounding positive - but it would be interesting to hear from players.

I think they go for about $1200. You know, it's funny - but it looks like they really went to school on the Saga market entry of a couple years back. Saga made a great splash because the tonewood and workmanship were so good, but the hardware and setup were questionable... and most (if not all) Saga 250/250M players I've met have outright swapped or modified the hardware & setup.

So here comes Dell Arte with their Pigalle model... it is made offshore, but boasts high quality and traditional tonewood... and guess what... they put Grovers on it, a real bridge, gypsy style stings, a real (leathered) tailpiece, and a slotted headstock. Now that is SPOT ON what I've heard most people doing to their Gitane 250 / 250M (except of course the headstock thing which Saga rectified later when they introduced the 255/300)

Fascinating - it looks like the battle for the title of "killer mass produced budget rig" has begun.
You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    if it's the guitar made by the chinese luthier, charles wizen tells me it's the second best guitar he's every played in his entire life (he's over 70yrs old)... he's played with django, recorded with raphael fays and serge krief, etc...

he's had it for a while now, **** sent him an early prototype or something and he fell in love with it to the point where he had to phone me up in the wee hours of the morning just to tell me about it...

i was not able to try it but it looks really interesting what with all the hype
  • CynekulCynekul New
    This is probably a dumb newb question but what is a leathered tailpiece and why is that important?

~Paul V.
  • drollingdrolling New
    edited March 2005 Posts: 153
    Hey cynekul,
    I'll try to answer your question. It's generally felt that the Gitane tailpieces are cheap & fragile. Some people claim that the brass cracks at the bend because the metal's too thin. The leather insert is commonly found in the rectangular space between the top and side of the tailpiece. Traditionally, it's red in colour and serves to protect the guitar's finish and perhaps also to muffle unwanted rattling and vibration from the tailpiece. To see a picture of a leathered tailpiece go to StewMac or Gypsyjazz.

BTW, I decided that my home-made bridge was too crude, so I also sent Collins an e-mail which he never replied to. I'm not gonna bug the guy, but I will be looking for a local luthier who has experience with this type of instrument.
    All the best,
    David
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    David,

perhaps you should email him again - he has built great bridges for a number of friends of mine, and they have never found him to be offhand. Maybe he didn't get the email?
  • drollingdrolling New
    Thanks nwilkins,
    Jack has raved about Michael's work, which prompted me to contact him in the first place - but if I'm not mistaken, Cynekul's e-mail also went unanswered. I'm sure Mr. Collins is a very talented individual (the guitars on his website sure look great) but having had some unpleasant encounters with prima donna luthiers and boutique pickup builders, I'd rather not have to go chasing after a potentially frustrating experience. Life's too short.
    Thanks again,
    DR
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I have to defend Michael here a little bit. I've had a fair amount of contact with him both by phone and by email and 1) I've never had that much of a problem getting a hold of him (he is a one man operation, has a family, and might not be in the shop 24/7), 2) he made me a fantastic bridge in a very reasonable amount of time, and 3) he is anything but a prima donna - he is extremely generous with his time, is very patient in answering questions and in general discussion, and is a very very friendly non-prepossesing person.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    Michael built my guitar and he was delightful to work with. He also made me a great guitar! Sometimes it takes him a few days to respond to email, that's all. It's a one-man operation. Be patient and he'll make you an excellent bridge.
  • drollingdrolling New
    I have to apologize,
    I didn't mean to insult Michael at all. Like i said, his guitars look fantastic. I shoudn't let past experiences ever color my judgement. You guys have been very helpful and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.
    david
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    No offence taken.
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to put in my two cents about Michael Collins. If you have the time, bread and patience... his guitars are awesome. I just got mine and it is amazing. He is a great guy and very accessable. Give him a call, his numbers on his website and if you don't reach him leave a message. He'll call you.
    Charlie
    charlie