DjangoBooks.com

shadow nanoflex pickups

Does anyone out have or know how the shadow nanoflex pickups sound? I really would like to find a reasonable priced and reasonable sound pickup. Any and all suggestions - what to check out - what to avoid - Thanks in advance

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You might consider the Schertler Basik. It's very inexpensive, sounds great, and requires no special installation. I've been using one for over a year now and am really happy with it.

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    They look like laminated bending piezo elements from Measurement Specialties Inc. and some kind of mini preamp.

Unless the preamp has some wacky EQ in it - they'll probably sound a whole lot like PUTW (Pick Up The World) or a Schertler Basik. The stereo implementation is pretty cool - never heard a stereo piezo pickup on a Mac. Usually people use the stereo channels for mic & pickup.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Bob Holo wrote:

Unless the preamp has some wacky EQ in it - they'll probably sound a whole lot like PUTW (Pick Up The World) or a Schertler Basik.

The Basik is not a piezo pickup and sounds nothing like one.... :D
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I really love my Schertler Basik, it's very natural sounding (so much more than a piezo) and it's very responsive as well, it really picks up on the dynamics.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I had thought the inexpensive one was a piezo and the expensive one was a dynamic, but looking at the Schertler site it says the basic is an electrostatic... Hmmm... I thought it sounded "pretty darned good for a piezo"

:)

I've heard Stassens play one - it sounded good - plenty of crunch.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    hi bob:

yes , i used to use the basik but have been using the dyn-g for the last 6 months or better.
    i did try it at a show just last night (basik) and it sounded more natural than the dyn-g on my dell arte hommage.
    it's a whole different tonal spectrum.....not nearly as boomy w/ low end.

BUT...the gain was scary weak.....i could put it to 7 on my unico amp.
    i would put the dyn-g at maybe 2

whats up with that michael ?

can i buy the basik pro adapter separately .

David
    Hi Dave...for more gain use the Stat Pre pre amp:

The Basik is not nearly as hot as the DYN. Only Schertler pre amps will work as the pickup is electrostatic.

'm
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    hi again:

Thanks michael ....good to know.

I will A/B them this week , but I was suprised how the basik kicked the mid's out compared to the dyn-g (which i really like btw)

i hadn't used the basik in over 6 months and i thought it sounded REALLY good through the unico.

thanks again.

david