DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a gipsy jazz guitar teacher in norfolk uk

romaffiaromaffia Norwich, U.K.New
edited July 2007 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 2
Hi everybody!!!
I Play on guitar almost 2 years now (I'm 22 i know its late) i play well but i want more and more!!!
I dint need exactly a teacher i would be very happy if i could play with someone who can help me a little!!!
I hope there is some1 who teach or play in my area i live in Norwich but i travel with in 100 miles

Thx for the reading !!!
Dez!!
Django.Reinhardt
R.I.P
&
God bless
Stochelo.Rosenberg
And all of us Gipsy jazz musicians

Comments

Hey, you're in Norwich?!?!

I live pretty close to Norwich and frequent it for drinking/school.

I've also only been playing a few years though (and I'm older than you eek!), and just recently started playing again after a year of not touching my geetar, so I can't help you in regards to teaching sadly. Just thought it's cool to see someone so close to me who plays Django Jazz. I've only ever met 2 people who have even heard of Django around here; both old men. haha!

If I was a better player I'd try and goad you into getting together and jamming sometime. :D

Anyhow, good luck.
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Looks like theirs a lot of solitary Gypsy Jazzers out their which is probably why i see a lot of Gypsy guitars on ebay! I'm also in the same position, i enjoy gypsy jazz and would love to jam with a fellow GJ affectionado in the Teesside area of the UK but we are rather thin on the ground. Whats more infuriating is that a friend i know plays double bass and is happy to do some trio stuff if i can find another guitarist who can play in this style.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • JazzmoodsJazzmoods Ghent in BelgiumNew
    I have the exact same problem.. ok, I live in Belgium, so that's not exactly in the neighbourhood of u guys, but I've been searching for other gipsy-jazz musicians and apparently they live in holes underground or something cause I can't find any of them. Guess that leaves more time for personal growth ey! :P
    To be or not to be.. what kind of question is that, for cryin' out loud!
    Yeah its a tough scenario, jazz music is not so hot locally in my area. For every 1000 rock guitarist theirs maybe 1 guitarist out their who likes and can play jazz BUT then finding a jazz guitarist that also plays in the GJ style is even harder to come across. My way of dealing with this is to play jazz within my group but adding a GJ touch and also getting the guys to play one or two GJ standards. My band really likes Swing 42. Its not quite ideal and i've love to develop a GJ trio but maybe in time this will happen when some one gets into it locally or moves into the area.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
    Yeah, it's weird, though. Because mostly, all the various guitarists that I've played with so far, all seemed to like the GJ.. but have never really been in contact with it, goddamn culture-barbarians :roll: . They do like to play it, though. In time, they've all seemed to have gotten pretty attached to it, so maybe it's just a matter of ignorance. Let's put the task of educating them onto ourselves ey :P.
    Well today i shared half a bottle of wine with my double basisst in my garden and we both talked about the concept of a GJ trio and were very favourable to the concept............still no 2nd guitarist to be found though :cry:...........what makes it worse is that i can actually provide paid gigs!!! :(:(:(
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
    that s*cks bigtime.. too bad I don't live in the UK. Cause if there is one thing I'ld wanna do .. it's to play in a GJ trio, doing gigs. It's said that that's the best way to learn .. learn from others by playing. Keep on searching man, there has to be someone who plays it, right! :? or has it come to the point where hope is bluring away into the emptyness... aheum.. :) , sorry got a little carried away there.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    JAzzmoods , where were YOU when i was in ghent? i was left playing all alone, and when I left, they opened up the bar Hot Club De Ghent, does it still exist?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    btw jazzmoods, you live 30 minutes away from fapy lafertin
    Okay, this is freaky :shock: . I've played in Hot club de Gand once, every wednesday there is a jamsession.. so they play all sorts of jazz, with Bart Maris (trompet) and everyone is free to join on stage and jam with them.. And of course it's still open, it's always crowded and full of teriffic atmosphere in there! I know I live pretty close to Fappy :D , I go see him play often with Koen de Cauter. So yeah indeed, where was I when u were in Ghent!! Damn, we should have gotten together and play.. I often end up playing alone as well, and at times like then, u ask yourself, there have to be others just like me, but where are they, right?!

So next time u get in Belgium by accident or something :wink: , U gotta let me know!! We'll get u a place to sleep as well if necessary :)

Small world, huh