DjangoBooks.com

Modifying Gitane Bridges

I deceided to try the technique of modifying a stock Gitane bridge by hollowing out the underside with a Dremel tool,as suggested in a previous posting. It worked beautifully, better than I would have thought. I left a 2 mm wall and basically doubled the amount of the hollowed out area, extending it a bit more into the feet and shaving the ends in the way the original Selmer is done. I used a cone shaped metal bit and carefully increased the original routed out area.

The sound is louder, and dryer much like the Shopis and Park, and Lehmann guitars that I've played.

The result is great, and the fit and intonation are perfect. A few minutes work was well worth the efforts. I couldn't be more pleased.

Comments

• pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. A great low cost alternative to try rather than or prior to purchasing a new one with an unknown end result.
    -Peter
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    personally, I would swap out the stock bridge with a DuPont BigTone and then crank the amp up.
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    Djangology:

I've found the Dupont bridges to be excellent for tone, volume and intonation on the Gitane. As Jacques says, they are "a dead copy of the original Selmer bridges".
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    This modification worked well for me. The often maligned Gitane bridge has perfect intonation for my DG-300, and perfect height for me. After I lightened its mass internally, it gave the same characteristics of a Dupont bridge. Paired with the new D'Addario Gypsy Jazz 0.10 strings, I have a combination that I've been searching for. I love the sound and playability of this guitar.