DjangoBooks.com

Cesar Swing Intro

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Technique Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

This intro has been kicking my ass for months now. Can it possibly be some sort of DUD DUD with a DD at the end? It seems like it should be, but the tempo seems inhuman...I can kind of replicate it with straight alternate, but that seems to put half the accents on upstrokes.

For those that want to hear the whole tune, it's on Moreno's Yochka CD. If anyone's got the Gypsy Swing comp from Refined Records, there's something similar done on Metro Swing (originally on the album Moreno), but that one sounds like it actually is alternate picking, so who knows?

At any rate, any help is appreciated...

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    That intro was written out by Andreas in his book:

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Just took a look; example 18.2? That's definitely the pattern I was hearing, with some slight alteration (Andreas has 4 DUD then D in the first section but I only hear 3 on the tune, etc.), so it must just be the unbelievable Right Hand of Moreno...cripes!

Thanks,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Jack,

Andreas has it written as the intro for Minor swing.
    Ah...I hadn't gotten that far in the book yet. Still, looking at it I'm not clear-are the sections marked as tremelo straight DUDU like a usual trem, like so:
    DUDUDU DUDUDU DUDUDU D

or is it still DUDDUD, like so:
    DUDDUD DUDDUD DUDDUD D?

There's something about the Moreno version that makes it really roll, and I think what I'm stuck on is whether it's the picking or the accents. Now I'm thinking it's just straight like my first example in this post but with a heavy accent on the first downstroke of each group.

Andreas, what are you playing on the recording?

Thanks,
    Jack.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Herve Gaguenetti does that all the time, he showed it to me. it's unmeasured tremolo picking with accents on the 1 and 3 downbeats, even though it's unmeasured, you have to work it out so that you can get a downstroke on the 1 and 3... takes a bit of practice

anyway jack i haven't forgotten the ivdeos i owe you, i just need to recover from all the crazy stuff that's been happening over the last few weeks and i'll send everything to you ASAP
    Thanks Dennis, and take your time...
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I love that song, its awesome, and Robin Nolan made a chart for it i think in the gig book? There is another song with a similar name called "Cecil Swing" on the ninine garcia album that I also think is awesome.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    one of the best intros! Great stuff. . . .Herve's thing is it- and its really hard . . . but you'll get it . . .
    B.
    Ps. dennis- vids? (can I get some?)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    djangology wrote:
    I love that song, its awesome, and Robin Nolan made a chart for it i think in the gig book? There is another song with a similar name called "Cecil Swing" on the ninine garcia album that I also think is awesome.

Cecel swing is a song dedicated to Marcel Campion, father of Chriss Campion with whom I did an album which will soon be on Hotclub records, there's a review here at djangostation (in french though)

http://www.djangostation.com/jazzmanouc ... article733

Hey Ben, wow I dont even know what vids I sent to jack this thread is a year old!!!
    Ah, old threads...Ben, I'm guessing by the date that it was a mix of Django in June '06 (where Stephane blew everyone's mind) and that year's Samois. Maybe if you make the trip here for my Sept. 7th jam/party I'll make you copies! PM me for details...

best,
    Jack.